Laser cutting reflective card

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa49a995f98>

Good morning everyone.

When the laser cutter is working again I was interested in trying to laser cut some designs out of some mirrored cardstock. Is that safe to do?

I’d assume not and was planning on buying a cheap vinyl cutter for the project I’m working on, but I figured I’d check if the laser cutter would work. I’ve successfully used it before with card, just nothing with a reflective coating.

The laser cutter is working again… also we have a vinyl cutter in the Space

Do you know where the vinyl cutter is? I saw some references to it in the Discourse a few years ago but I can’t find it anywhere.

Yes, it is under the light switches in the textiles / 3d printing room…

Here is the tool page:

In textiles. If you go through the double doors from the messy room its on your left under the shelves.

I am not sure show suitable it is for card (compared to a cricut thing) but worth giving a go

I see it now, thanks @asander1 and @tmilner for pointing it out. In my defence it was hidden under a blanket.

Assuming it won’t work with card, would the laser cutter be OK for that reflective card stock?

@lasertechs?

Are these cards reflective on both sides?

Yea, not your fault, we need to add a photo to the tool page at a minimum!

1 Like

Just on one side.

I’ve cut mirrored acrylic by cutting the back of it making sure to mirror the design. It came out great!

1 Like

I just finished a test cut. It took a couple of attempts to get the settings right, but it looks like the laser cutter will work for this.
I only tried it with the reflective side down JIC.