Industrial Sewing Machine? Where is it?

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa496f4b1a8>

Hiya @Jack_MH

I have a canvas project where I need the industrial sewing machine- @Dermot says you have it since covid? Waiting for a pickup? I will come bring it back to the space, let me know if that’s not the case!

Thanks!!!
Andy

2 Likes

Have we heard back from @Jack_MH yet?
It would be great in we could set up the industrial machine at the space!

2 Likes

Hi all,:smiley_cat: me and Zack have taken on repairing the industrial singer machine we have a number for a singer repair man and I will gladly put money down to repair it, when its back to normal it will do parachute fabric, heavy canvass and leather (Italian to buffalo hide ) I have three projects that I would use it for ,Keep well Brian D=

1 Like

Hi @platinumnqueen22 - which one are you referring to? This one?

This one runs too fast for most users, you can’t change the speed without modifying the table, and is very difficult to get timed/adjusted properly. We have sewn like 2 things in 4 years on it successfully :frowning:

We have another one that was borrowed by @Jack_MH and has not been returned… It is supposed to be better than the Singer one, so I suggest we get it back and focus efforts on it… Does anyone have contact info for Jack?

1 Like

You just need to be gentle on the clutch, I did a lil batch of 40 odd little draw chord bags for various tools / materials / luggage and found it was an absolute treat to use!

1 Like

Seconded, it’s a lovely machine.

Jack is saying he can arrange a collection by someone.

My suggestion if driving across London is a faff to pay Royal mail to pick it up and deliver it.

1 Like

If its not crazy far, I will go pickup! Good idea tho!!

4 Likes

it’s a huge machine needing two people to lift… Might need someone to pick up afterall.

2 Likes

With space and everything will be good to know what space we will have with arch 2 coming up and then know where a number of machines will live

1 Like

Very good point, finding a place for it!

Add it on the agenda!

1 Like

Seems like ultimately we would prefer to keep both machines.

Yes the machine once had a lost part, the question remains that of the older machine how much will it cost to keep it maintained, and people seem confident that it is worth doing, the barrier I am facing as textiles tech is diminished as Brian has offered to pay for the repair since the missing part has been returned, we could then assess the machine over the next 12 months? Meanwhile the new machine will make it possible to finally get some work done, would be great to get the feel of a modern industrial.

1 Like

I would like to see this new machine in the space as soon as possible

1 Like

Andy and Jack are in communication re-pick up.

1 Like

Picking it up tonight!

Jack said it would be a replacement for the current singer machine we have.
It’s fully functioning and in a great working condition. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Sounds great! Thanks! the new machine will make the space better, I visited another makerspace and saw their new machine was a good thing. I will speak with Brian about restoring the singer back to life, and am hoping that everyone will be happy if I vouch for keeping both machines if possible. I just think the user experience has improved a lot since the first industrial revolution after recently experiencing errors in winding a bobbin, maybe me and Brian will fix the Singer now and we can do a comparison together.

We do have the Bernina as well which works well.
It’s worth a debate whether we need the singer and Wimsew. Quite a few people are not very keen on the Singer. It’s quite scary.
I think it’s a nice machine but it has not been used in the past 2.5 years and it would be good to have save working machines that are easier to handle for a wide circle of our membership. But it would be great to hear from other people as well.

1 Like

Yes for sure, I’ve heard from makers who are also passionate about keeping the singer. It went out of action for the wrong reasons, a crazily lost part and covid and I didn’t have the headspace for getting anything sorted since covid, so we’ll at least give it a chance (I understand people are tired of thinking about this) and together see what fits into the new space and try to set out our priority ideas at the members meeting tonight. We would have to add a power cut off button to the Singer to make it less dangerous, like the shutdown in the wood area.