Inductions Revisited, Revised ---> SOLVED (?)!

I agree with Sarah this should all be brought up in the members meeting for discussion, but frankly the work Sarah is doing is already an unofficial pilot of this work.

Maybe we could expand that?

The other discussion point for inductions is if we can try to harmonise the process across the board then myself and @naxxfish are up for implementing this in the membership system, we started on this but quickly discovered there were so many edge cases that were wanted.

1 Like

This is how it works with the wood lathe at the moment. People running inductions in that don’t necessarily have to know anything about any of the other tools in the workshop. There maybe are other tools which a person could have expertise in and safely deliver inductions on without having to know or be involved in everything else. The lathe is more of a standalone tool than others but I’d agree that sharpening is also a separate thing in its own right and we could really do with a few people running regular sharpening sessions.

2 Likes

Hi, I’m Will Webber.
I joined the space today and have a background in precision engineering, so happy to run inductions on the metal centre lathe.

7 Likes

Hi William,

Welcome to the Makerspace.

Speak to Nico and Calum who are our @meteltechs

Hi Dermot,
Thanks will do, I know Calum. we have worked at SMEE and LHS.
W.

1 Like

Hi Sarah, Thanks for the insight. It make sense, sharpening lathe tools is a separate induction. For the metal lathe, we will need to setup a bench grinder with the correct wheels to sharpen HSS and tungsten carbide tools. Those attempting more complex machining may want to grind bespoke tools to create custom angles and radii from a bar of HSS.

The grinding wheels will need to be regularly dressed to keep the front face flat.

I look forward to meeting you at the space.

W.

1 Like

Hi Welcome Will,

Great to have another new member hope to see you around I’m interested in the lathe and metal working tools so would be nice to meet you at some point.

Kind regards

Col

Just read the top of the thread, I’m a fully qualifide Bench Joiner, City & gilds Advanced Purpose made Joinery I got a Distinction just to show off. I’m fully trained and have used all the tools and machines in your workshop except the woodturning lathe in a professional capacity. I’m not sure if I would need to do your induction. but could probably help train people after I am inducted.

Many thanks

Col

4 Likes

@woodtechs, please capture this man :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you fancy helping feel free to come and talk to me.

All help is more than welcome.

I would be happy for you to attend the next workshop induction, if only so that you can get the idea if you are giving it the next week.

You help with the spindle would definitely be appreciated

1 Like

A better deployment of Colin – sorry to talk about you this way Colin! – would be on the tools we don’t have anyone running inductions on though? We already have at least three @woodtechs who run general inductions – plus I had the impression that the waiting list was pretty much worked through, or about to be?

Now…someone running table saw inductions…that’d be something!

1 Like

:+1::+1::+1:

It’s written and will be rolled out when the induction list is clear.

1 Like

Why does the general induction list need to be clear?

Get everyone started. But am hoping that it will be in final draft asap

I think it would also be good to have Colin running general inductions. There are still over 40 people on the waiting list and Joe has been spending a lot of time doing them recently, so it would be great to have another person trained up in how to run them. Then Joe could concentrate on the list of things still to be sorted in the workshop.

Colin, what’s you schedule like? The next general induction planned is on Tuesday 20th March at 2pm, but we will be adding another weekend one soon.

1 Like

but it is always being added to?

I saw 40 on the list but was under the impression that most people attending hadn’t waited long – which suggests to me that the backlog is pretty much cleared?

1 Like

It’s time someone else picked it up, if I only give that induction for the next 10 years I will go mad . I suspect that me and mark have inducted more than 100 people so far I am looking forward to mooving to a different speech . And when the video team get the second shoot orgoosed it becomes very simple and quick to do the induction.

2 Likes

The foundation induction is the problem that will never go away, we need to finish the video

2 Likes