I would like to make a large Chopping Board / Butchers Block

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa49b04dfc0>

Here are the current draft plans, for reference it’s about 570mm wide

2 Likes

I have confirmed that I am Picking up the lumber Saturday Morning,

@TomA I haven’t got someone confirmed to Open up the space for me to just drop the wood off, if I can do that I might be able to transport yours as well.

@smjmaker See you on Saturday

Thanks Paul. Sorry wasn’t fishing for a lift previously! I only live a short distance away so will probably sort my own transport as pretty easy. Thanks anyway though.

See you tomorrow

1 Like

@TomA Didn’t think you were mate, just offering :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks to everyone who helped. It wouldn’t have turned out half as nice without everyone’s help!!

10 Likes

Success! Very cool!! good work!

1 Like

Looks amazing! All that hard work paid off :grinning:

1 Like

looks awesome :smiley:

1 Like

Does anyone have any idea why the warping would have happened?

total shot in the dark here as i don’t have enough experience.
But was the grain the same orientation when you made it cause i read that would cause warping like that.

1 Like

The grain is pointing up and down

not too clear from your pictures, but is it bowing away from the legs? and is it bowing on all sides? ie highest point is the centre of the board(the side you cut on)

did you oil the bottom as well as the top? Finish on only one side can lead to warping

2 Likes

It’s effectively convex on the cutting side and concave on the underside

Only very lightly on the bottom. This appeared to be where the top got wet, however there were 5 coats on oil and 1 of wax so I thought it’de be Safe

It’s just your boards way of helping you clear out the juices from meat :slight_smile: I’d say if it isn’t too noticeable, you could live with it.

There are many reasons why this could happen. I haven’t made a cutting board, but read some forums and it could really be number of things. Were you cutting hot meat on the board and then it warped? You could try equalise the warp by applying a bit of moisture and heat to the reverse of the board. I’ve never done this, and wouldn’t know the pitfalls, but might work!

It actually has gone back to flat…

Interesting time

5 Likes

It just wants to keep you on your toes

1 Like

Must be time to make a new one

2 Likes

It seems you cannot get enough of endless repetitive machine processes… lol :wink: