I would like to make a large Chopping Board / Butchers Block

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa4a3917748>

After Sanding a wet it to raise some of the fibres ready to sand it again.

I used some gorilla glue that I had lieing around, clamped it for around a day.

Finishes

And

The glue is a problem, not sure which gorilla glue you have used but every gorilla I have used has underperformed!!

For chopping block it needs to be strong, waterproof and food safe

The one I would recommend is titebond 3

1 Like

I was looking at getting some titebond 3 for the next board

1 Like

Great progress!

I’ve found Cascamite to be brilliant - you can mix up however much you need, and you get lots of working time before it dries for a big glue-up.
The other thing I wondered about is: is it worth clamping it with sash cramps, so you can get it all very tight together and make sure that all the gaps between the boards are filled with glue? Those Irwin clamps are pretty good, though.

1 Like

@Jamie_Scuffell how is your board going?

I got COVID and then went on holiday! So no progress.in the meantime, though, my dad has bought a planer thicknesser… So I may take it back home and get it nice and flat.

When I’m back from Aus I want to do make a few. Happy to work with you on yours if it’s still going then

2 Likes

Updates on the butchers block chopping board.

My dad (for some totally different reason) bought an Axminister planer thicknesser a few months ago, so I ran the butcher block through it to see what had happened.
It didn’t deal with the end grain perfectly, but it was pretty good! Just did very small passes of 0.2-0.4mm at a time. It certainly started to catch and tear on the edges, but I got round this by routing round the chopping board with a roundover bit before passing it through the planer thicknesser.

He’s also bought one of these awesome CNC routers (https://www.shapertools.com/en-gb/origin/overview), which was so good to router the handholds in it.

Next thing to do is sanding seal and oil.

4 Likes

Looking nice!! Good work!

Looking good mate

Looks great! Smart to route the edges first! I’ve wanted to play with that origin CNC for a while… Is it easy to use?

Yeah it’s pretty easy once it’s set up - and when it is it’s totally genius! I only used the built-in interface which worked really well, but think the computer interface takes a bit more getting used to.

1 Like

@woodtechs I am hoping to pick up the Lumber for this Project (rough sawn beech) on Saturday morning, Is anyone going to be around on the weekend to either induct me or Assist me squaring up the wood?

Also I will put in a Storage request for this wood between picking it up and ripping it up :slight_smile:

Thanks
Paul

Hi Paul,

I’ll probably be around at some point at the weekend (not sure when yet) so could help on the planer/thicknesser but not sure it can be treated as an induction but obviously you’ll learn by assisting, I’ll leave the decision on that to @Ryanf because we are not really doing inductions as such on the planer/thicknesser yet afaik?

I’ll post online if I am going to be at the space at the weekend and then you can add yourself in to the calendar post…

Excellent, Thank you, my main reason for wanting the induction is so that I don’t have to take peoples time to do it, if you’re willing to give me a hand if around that would be perfect :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, I get that but the planer/thicknesser cannot actually be used without a key as it is on a different power supply and also it is quite a tricky safety induction so not many people can actually use it at the moment.

Anyway, I’ll let you know when I expect to be there at the weekend with as much notice as I can give you…

1 Like

Hi Paul,

I’m new to the space but am also planning on a chopping board type project starting on Saturday morning - I won’t be able to assist in any formal capacity but happy lending a hand if you’re in the space around then

I bought my hardwood last week and asked them to shove it through their machines to get it at least workable… just need to work out how to get it down there now!

Cheers

1 Like

Hey @TomA

Always happy for a hand, I’ll be driving to Hemel Hempstead to get the lumber and then back, I can possibly pick it up on the way to get it to the space.

My Saturday morning pickup isn’t confirmed yet and I’ll have to drop the rental car back straight after I’ve dropped the wood off, but happy to help if you don’t live too far out of the way.

Hey Paul, Planer/Thicknesser inductions aren’t taking place at the moment. I’ll unfortunately not be around this weekend to give you a hand either.

Not a problem @Ryanf

I still don’t have 100% confirmation that it will be ready this weekend. If I can’t get it Thicknessed this weekend then it can wait in the snug until I can get a hand :slightly_smiling_face: