Humongous 3D Printer

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa4a38c90e8>

So I took the garbage down this morning and guess what I found in the bin store in my block of flats, a giant 3D printer that someone has abandoned there.

I took it up thinking I might just scavenge some parts but to my surprise it powers on :astonished:

All axes seem to be moving OK under manual control and it also homes OK. The UI seems to work and it connects to my wifi. I’ve not tested if it prints yet, I might get some and try tomorrow.

It’s this model with a fairly large print volume:

So ….

1. If it does seem to work, @3dtechs would it be useful for the space?
  2. If the space doesn’t want it, does anyone else want it?
  3. If it’s not working, and it’s not an easy fix, does anyone who tinkers with 3D printers or CNC contraptions want any parts? (It’s got some beefy steppers/belts/rods inside)
  4. Or is it a piece of junk and should go back in skip immediately?

For sure I can’t keep it at home for long, I have neither the space nor the need for a monster like that. If you want to take it, it needs a car.

11 Likes

Ahh great find! Bring it down the space and we can see if it can be of any use. If it is a large format we could look at a large nozzle diameter build or something else if we are feeling adventurous!

2 Likes

If it’s going to the space, I’m happy to provide a car for transport if needed :smile:

1 Like

I can also offer a car ride. Where would we put it though :smiley:

Ok cool, it also seems to be heating the bed and the extruder OK, that’s I think all I can test for now.

I’ll grab some filament and check if it prints OK tomorrow, don’t want to drag a massive paperweight to the space.

1 Like

we can rip it to parts for bits if it doesn’t work. Looks like it has a built in filter system so ABS can be run in it if we give it a test first. Doesn’t look to be the best of spec printer but its good to have a spare machine to cannibalise or use a a framework for another build.

The main reason this would have be thrown away is either someone has gone for an upgrade or its quite often a simple problem they didn’t know how to fix and decided to dump it. Looks like it has gathered a bit of dust so probably someone giving up with it!

1 Like

That’s a big boi.

I wonder why was threwed out…

@futureshape, nice find! Please bring it in and @3dtechs can have a go at it!

@Calin - you can clear off the spot by the front door until the monkey is gone. The remaining monitors are destined for recycling, so move them under the table, the big tv is going to textiles, so put in that area somewhere safe until it gets mounted…

Cheers!

video review:

It’s actually this model:

Doing a print right now, so far it seems to be working fine!

2 Likes

Nice!

I printed a Benchy, seems to come out ok*

(* Based on my limited expertise with 3D printing, there might be faults/calibration requirements I don’t fully understand)

I suspect someone just moved out of the building and this monster was too big to carry somewhere else beyond the bin store.

In the process of trying to calibrate the z-axis I made a mistake of not saving the calibration, which caused it to start a print at the wrong height and made a bit of damage to the removable magnetic built plate :sob: Seems like replacements are readily available though.

I’ll do a couple more prints at home now that I have it here, and then I might PM @Calin and @danielbenton to see when we can arrange a car pickup to move it to the space.

3 Likes

I could drive as well, where are you located?

1 Like

Oh yes, forgot to say. I’m near Surrey Quays/Greenland Dock.

I’m also happy to offer a lift. I’m based in SW London but we need to sync on best timings

You are 10 mins away, I’m going to the space tomorrow.

Should fit I’m in my 500

1 Like

If you’re greeland docks, you’re literally around the corner from me, so I can also offer a lift!

Amazing :):):slight_smile: Wow !
So nice to make use of it tor community :):):slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi :roll_eyes: what idiot threw that away (can it print a full size head / whats the bed size ? ) does it need any hardware parts/ conpunents , Brian D=

Depends on the size of the head :smiley: the print volume is 300 x 250 x 300 mm

1 Like