Hi I’m Tom, and I’m a new member.
Here’s a few things I’m interested in:
- I’ve got a lot of experience designing and building various CNC machines - routers, lasers, 3D printers and the like - with everything from low-end steppers and arduino control right up to machines with servos, linear actuators, super fast movements, sub-micrometer-accuracy and multiple axes in unusual configurations. If there’s anyone interested in this area, I might be able to collaborate or share some knowledge.
- I’ve built light installations for large festivals for over 10 years, so I’ve got a lot of experience designing, building, controlling and programming for LEDs, projectors, flame effects, etc.
- My experience with (non-CNC) metalwork is limited - I’m at a very basic skill level with a metal lathe, brake, TIG and MIG welders, bending tools, etc. But I am keen to use these facilities at SLMS and expand my skills.
- I help run a company in the US which manufactures mainly with various types of CNC lasers. We have 6 large (3m+) CO2 (tube) laser cutters and several smaller ones including some that use RF lasers, so I have some decent experience repairing, modifying and generally running lasers.
- I guess also my main skills are software and electronic engineering…
Projects I’m interested in doing at SLMS:
- I want to build an e-bike - ideally completely from scratch - i.e. bending & welding the frame, designing the electronics, etc.
- I’m working on various electronics/microcontroller projects, I have my own electronics workshop in London, but I may well come and work on them sometimes at SLMS.
I look forward to meeting everyone!