Hi! I'm Tim

Hi everybody,

I’m Tim, I work in science comms for a charity but my hobby is making models to help people learn about the brain.

I’ve made some animations and I’m keen to learn how to use a 3D printer and see what’s possible to make the models come to life!

I’ve just set up my DD for membership, planning to drop by for the first time this or next Wednesday evening. Hope to meet some of you soon!

Do you know @peter_hellyer?

Here’s my brain, laser cut from an MRI scan.

More photos

That’s really cool!

Does it light up at all? Would be an idea to make it light up in different areas at different times to mimic synapses going off.

1 Like

Hi Rich, those look really cool! I’d love to be able to make something similar…I have a series of brain scans from people with and without Alzheimer’s disease over a period of ~5 years, and I think what you’ve produced would be a great way of being able to explain the difference to people and let them see it for themselves.

Would be great to learn how you made that, how hard is it to do?

I don’t know Peter but hopefully will meet him at some point!

Tim

Really straightforward. I found some software that will take the raw scan data and output it as jpegs. Drop every fifth jpeg (depending on scan resolution) into the laser cutter software of your choice and trace round the outside with a cut line. Added a slot for assembly, cut and done!

1 Like

You make it sound so easy! I will definitely be giving that a try, thanks so much for the idea.