Hi, I'm Maya

Hi everyone, I’ve already been to 3 open evenings and have just had the go ahead to collect my tag!
I love making things. My experience is varied but unskilled up to now*.
I’m keen to work with wood and metal and the laser cutter, so I’ll be happy to bake biscuits and make tea to ingratiate myself onto any inductions coming up :smile:.
Meanwhile I hope to meet some of you later today (Sun 1/3) as I’ll be heading over to collect my tag, yippee!
Maya

• Some woodwork, stained glass, simple jewellery, sewing etc. I did a 5 day carpentry course last autumn & a couple of days mig welding & metalwork just over a year ago but haven’t had any opportunity to put them into practice since.
2 Likes

Hi Maya, welcome! I just added a new laser cutter induction session for this Tuesday, so quickly add yourself there if you’re free then :slight_smile:

Brilliant, thanks Robin, will do!

Sorry Robin, am new to discourse and I can’t find it but I would definitely like to come.
What time is it please?

Seems there is also an induction for the wood lathe on Tuesday, I can’t seem to book on that either, may be because I’m a new member and haven’t collected my tag yet?

Yeah, it might be! You might also need to associate your membership account with your discourse account, so you can see the members-only subforums. I can add you to the list regardless, if you’re free on Tuesday evening 7pm!

Ah thanks Robin! I’m not sure but I may have just added myself to the wood lathe list. It seems both inductions are on Tuesday at 7 which is a shame as I’d really like to do both!

There’s a long waiting list for the lathe inductions, and I don’t see your name on there, so I’m not sure if that worked! This is the post: https://discourse.southlondonmakerspace.org/t/l1-wood-lathe-induction-3-march-2020/16452

If you can’t see the laser cutter induction thread, you probably can’t see that one either though.

Ah thanks Robin, no it looks like I don’t have access to either yet.
Well I’ll turn up on Tuesday and see if there’s any no shows :wink:

Hi Maya,

This sound exciting!
I am also into sewing and jewellery making :grinning:
And looking forward to be doing some metal and wood work too.

Hope to see you around soon.

That’s great, I look forward to meeting you!
I’ll be coming on Tuesday evening, maybe see you then? :slight_smile:

Same here :laughing: so I will see you then!

1 Like

Hi Maya,

The lathe induction is designed as a follow on to the general woodwork induction, so you have to complete the general induction first before adding yourself to the waiting list for lathe inductions. It looks to me as if you haven’t done that yet (please correct me if I’m wrong!), so the first thing you need to do is add your name to the list for the general woodwork induction (here: https://discourse.southlondonmakerspace.org/t/who-wants-a-basic-woodwork-foundation-induction-updated-list-for-2020/15290 ). Then after you’ve done the general woodwork induction, add your name to the waiting list for the lathe induction (here: https://discourse.southlondonmakerspace.org/t/wood-lathe-induction-l1-waiting-list/4838).

However in the meantime it looks as though you’ve got a confirmed place on tomorrow’s laser cutter induction with Robin :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for taking the time to answer so fully, Ian.

I’ve added my name to the woodwork induction now.

I went to collect my tag yesterday and Robin showed me that the wood lathe induction was already full but kindly helped me with signing up for the laser cutting - am really looking forward to that! I expect it will keep me entertained until I can get onto
a woodwork induction :smile:

2 Likes