Hi, I'm David

I have just joined the Makerspace. My hobby is making telescopes, and also the mirrors for the telescopes. I am making a rather large telescope at the moment, mainly out of aluminium. Learning to use the metal lathe would be very useful for my project, as there are some round parts. Also, a metal cutting bandsaw or table saw would be useful, and access to a pillar drill.
I have successfully made one telescope and mirror. I go to a telescope mirror making class in Camden every couple of weeks.
At home I have a mini mill, but I need to make some parts for which this is not big enough. I also have a portable metal cutting band saw. But it would be useful if I could access a machine that can cut thicker material.
I also have a router, electric drill, portable track saw (for wood) Also a mitre saw and jigsaw which can cut metal with the correct blade.
I have been working with wood and metal for a few years, in my spare time. However, I still have a lot to learn!
My main goal is to learn to make things more accurately and become better at designing and planning my projects. Also, to finally finish the telescope I am currently making, as it is taking rather a long time!

3 Likes

Sounds like an amazing project. Welcome to the maker space you will love it here :slight_smile:

1 Like

Looking forward to bumping into each other in the space! Iā€™m interested in camera lenses, particularly in rehousing vintage lenses so I think there might be an intersection in our interests there.