Hello makers! i'm artem, a startup founder looking for a place to tinker

hey everyone!

i recently applied - the makerspace seems like a wonderful community and workshop, excited to join!

i’ve done a lot of different things over the years - here’s some highlights;

• started as a self taught 3d artist, made my first money from commissions (mostly aerospace mockups) made during lunch breaks in the cad/cam lab at school
  • went into gaming (building on roblox) and worked on 17 titles (about 5/6 were top grossing), where i contributed to over 2.7bn downloads/play sessions
  • did independent consulting for F100s like pepsi, spotify, UMG
  • designed virtual merchandise for brands/artists like chipotle, QQ music & tai verdes (~150k sales)
  • started my second/current startup (pre-pivot): marketing agency building games, worked with F100s like unilever on 6 fig campaigns. (post-pivot): game publisher/VC running an accelerator program
  • started a third startup-ish on the side, a luxury fashion brand selling virtual watches (~98k sales)
  • accepted into the world’s most prestigious tech accelerator, YCombinator (S22 batch)
  • raised 1.5M$ (20m$ post money) from VCs including Paul Graham, Dentsu Global, Coddy Johnson (prev. COO of Activision), Pioneer Fund, GFR Fund & more

my current founder/ceo job demands more time spent on management than building things. this leaves me with no great outlet for a desire to make things. i have a bunch of projects and ideas in the back of my head that i’d love to tinker on - but no place or tools to make them! D:

SLMS seems like the perfect place to work on those projects while improving my (extremely newbie!) engineering skills in the company of great people, so i hope to meet some of you soon!

2 Likes

Welcome Artem! You found the perfect place to tinker and explore projects other than your day job!

See you in the Space!
Cheers

2 Likes

Great to meet you - that’s awesome, see you soon! :smile:

Hi Artem,

Welcome to our communtiy! Check your e-mail for an invitation to join the Makerspace. Sometimes they end up in spam. No rush, the invitation does not expire. Take your time and come to an open evening or any of our open nights like Craft+Textile social or Electronics Night.

See you at the Makerspace,
Mark

1 Like

hey mark! i accepted, processed the subscription and setup my profile on the main site about a hour ago but none of the permissions changed? + i’ll be sure to drop by one of the events soon :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wow cool! Welcome!

It looks like somebody from the Welcome team is just processing your order. Your user privilegs on Discourse should change very soon. Give it a couple of minutes! You’ll see a welcome message in your inbox, once all that has been done.

See you at the Makerspace,
Mark

2 Likes

it’s gone through :smile:

plan to drop by at the textiles event tomorrow, if i can get my bike working - hope to see you soon!

1 Like