Hello, I'm Josh. New member looking for help with opening hours

Hi there,

My name is Josh and I have just signed up to become a member of South London Makerspace. I am in the process of starting up a small furniture making business with a focus on using recycled/reclaimed materials and am looking for a workspace from where I can base myself, as well as become involved with an active community of like-minded makers.

I have set up the direct debit and linked Discourse to my account, but I cannot see the clock tab that shows whether the space is open or not. I’m keen to come down as soon as possible to have a look at the space and get started.

Please could someone help me in getting this feature set up so that I am able to see when the space is open, or alternatively let me know when the space will be open so that I can pop down.

Many thanks in advance.

Josh

Hi Josh,

I believe your account only becomes live (and the clock appears) when the first payment goes through and yours is scheduled for 02/02/2018.

That’s also when your door fob would start work (you can collect one at anytime before that though)

Courty

Also, you’ll need to be inducted to use the workshop tools, and prove yourself a reliable and trustworthy member before gaining full shutter access.

And we aren’t really intended to be used as a commercial space, although I think it’s safe to say we generally like to support makers in their startup phase where we can.

1 Like

Hi Paul and Rich,

Thank yo for getting back to me so quickly.

Paul - thank you for the info regarding my account going live. Is there any way to bring this process forward? I was really hoping to get down there this week, if possible, and would be happy to change the date of the direct debit if needs be and isn’t a complete pain to do.

Rich - I fully appreciate that the primary function is not as a commercial space and I assure you that it is certainly not my intention to only use it as such. My deciding to leave my job in favour of setting up on my own was very much a lifestyle choice whereby I want to focus my energy on things I actually enjoy doing (making things) rather than dealing with the stresses of the office environment. I intend that I would fully immerse myself within the community of makers and help out wherever I can within the workspace. Naturally, I would need to dedicate certain amounts of time to carry out my own projects so that I am able to pay the rent, but I assure you I don’t intend to use the space solely for my own gains. I’m a team player and want to get involved wherever I can. I only started out at the end of November last year, so I think it is very safe to say that it’s very much in it’s start-up phase.

Of course, I completely understand the need to be inducted prior to using the workshop tools and that I would need to prove myself as reliable and trustworthy before gaining full access. What would be the best way to go about arranging the induction? Are you able to offer me any visibility on when the space will be open this week so that I could come down to introduce myself and have a look around?

Thank you both for your help with this.

Josh

1 Like

Hello,

Regarding point:

1. There is a possibility if you email directors@southlondonmakerspace.org to arrange a one off cash or BACs payment as an interim measure, especially as there will be directors at the space tomorrow who can collect the cash.

2. It should also probably be noted that there is a lone working policy that might be an issue, i.e. even with shutter (keyholder) access you’d need to be with someone else even if they are not a member, for obvious safety reasons, this usually applies to machine and power tools, working at height or with Low Voltage as defined by the IEC (which is mains).

But otherwise welcome to our crazy maker palace.

Tom

Hi Tom,

That’s great. Thanks for your help.

1. Any idea what time the directors are likely to be there tomorrow? Do you think it would be most of the day or just in the evening? Would rather try and sort this out face to face if possible.

2. Thanks for informing me of this. Very useful to know and of course I completely understand the logic behind it.

Thanks again.

Josh

1. There’s an official members meeting so I would guess after that about 9:30-10:00. I would still email them.

Great, thanks.