Hello from Ross

Came to the open evening this week and was quite impressed.

I work in IT, but my interests are primarily in wood work and metal work.

Welcome Ross!

What type of wood work are you looking to do?
Have you been explained the waiting lists

Hey Dsign,

Very small stuff - turning pens, rings, maybe making small boxes.

I’ve not been explained the waiting lists, but I’ll be sure to inform myself about it. Is there a discourse thread for it?

We’ve only just got the wood workshop properly working in the last few months, so it’s all a bit new. You have to join the waiting list for an induciton session before you can use the dangerous tools

https://discourse.southlondonmakerspace.org/c/admin/induction-waiting-lists

The big machine tools (band & table saws, planer/thicknesser etc) induction sessions are starting soon.

1 Like

Great to hear.
Well once you have done the woodworking induction you’ll be able to have an induction to the lathe where I or beth will induct you.

I didn’t think the lathe induction was contingent on the general workshop one

That was the original idea discussed with the wood techs and I was running the inductions without because we didn’t have a general wood workshop induction. Now I’m not sure how to implement the system - how to tell if someone has had general induction and what to do about current waiting list.

So is there a separate induction for the lathe? And another for the general woodworking workshop area?

There are inductions for all tools that would present an unacceptable risk of injury without them. Plus some valuable tools that are at risk from us without induction – 3d printer being an example.

Yes

Thank you for clarifying :slight_smile:

The lath is a bit different from the rest of the tools so no reason why it cannot be o it’s own