Hello from Matine!

Hi all, I joined couple weeks ago.

I’ve always loved making things but never had any professional experience. But after doing a beginners woodwork course recently, it has spurred me on to do some more adventurous projects here at the makerspace :slight_smile:

I’m planning to make a desk with drawers under.

Although I haven’t actually been down to the place since an open day a while back, as I’m waiting for a the woodwork induction, which I can see the waiting list is pretty long.

I’ve seen people saying it’s not as long as it looks! But it doesn’t seem to be going down at all. Is there a way to see when they are taking place? Or have any transparency about what’s going on? At the moment it feels like I won’t be able to start doing any work on my project until next year.

I will be running a few inductions soon :grinning:

1 Like

Hi Matine, welcome to Makerspace! Have you put your name on the induction waiting list? If you have, you should get notified when the next date is planned. There is no fixed schedule since everyone involved is helping out on a voluntary basis and fitting it in around their day jobs.

While you’re waiting for an induction, you could come down on any Wednesday evening to help with open evening and start getting to know people. We’re a community, not a service, and there are plenty of ways to get involved.

I’m also planning to make a desk, for my son’s room, but I think it will just be a simple slab in an alcove partly supported by batons on the wall, so we can move it higher as he grows. Where did you do your furniture course?

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for the reply! I have put my name down, I’m number 54.

I’m very aware it’s a community, not a service. It’s a really amazing project/space. I’m definitely up for helping out. Probably couldn’t host an open evening just yet as I don’t know enough, but I could help with other bits needed. Is there a list of things that need doing on here? I’m around this evening if that works. Wednesdays I’m generally not. It’s really annoying as I used to live in Herne Hill but now I’m two bus rides away so it’s not as easy to pop down if there’s not a plan.

Yeh I was panning to make a simple slab desk as well, and put it on top of a trestle and ikea drawers. But the course has made me feel more adventurous, so I’d like to have a go at making it all myself. I did the course here http://www.furniturecraftschool.co.uk. It’s near Tunbridge Wells which is a bit of a commute, so I decided to take a week off work and stayed in an air bnb. Basically made my own little woodwork retreat! It was lovely and very inspiring :slight_smile: Highly recommend it!

1 Like

Great news Joe. Hopefully I’ll see you soon! :grinning:

That sounds great! I did a beginners furnitute making course at the London Metropolitan, that used to be the Cass School of furniture making. It was one day a week for a term and I really enjoyed it.