Hello and Sewing for COVID-19?

Ohhh, that is amazing! Should be able to do several layers in one go.
Just need to adjust the pieces to lie closer to the edge and together so it wont waste too much fabric.
Any idea how we can add some automation to the sewing part as well? :smile:

The pile is growing…we can produce a lot of parts on the Trotec if needed

3 Likes

We are making some good progress over here too! Almost 20 done and hitting our stride :slight_smile:image image image image

4 Likes

Looking good!

Be interested to hear any feedback…and an idea of how long each one takes to see?

I have finished sewing the 21 but have not added the wire or elastic.

Happy to do that or to get started on the next set of sewing - if there are others who want to help but don’t have sewing machines.

We did the majority on Sunday (maybe four hours to do 80% of the 20) but I finished the top stitch, ear folds and nose bridge yesterday (another 1.5 hours). So we might be averaging 20/25 min per mask before the wire and elastic.

The bobbin case kept slipping out (maybe just dusty underneath) but that was about an hour or two messing with it that I can hopefully avoid in the future now that I know how to fix it and will also let me be more efficient.

They are not perfect by any means, but they seem sturdy and like they will get the job done. Hopefully people won’t mind the bright colors either?

Thanks!

Rikki

1 Like

Hi, that’s really useful, thank you

The bobbin case is weird…the whole holder was lifting up? As we have six of the same machine maybe we should document the problem for others?

1 Like

Does anyone know what material is best for these masks? I’ve read ‘tightly woven cotton’…however in the absence of that, I have some old T-shirt’s and some old bedding. Also have a 100% wool suit that the moths have attacked. Was thinking of knocking a few up for my household, but don’t want to spend time making some if they’re not suitable. @Dermot any advice at all please?

1 Like

I think the preferred fabric is 100% cotton that is tightly woven and doesn’t have a stretch to it. Stretchy cotton such as tee shirts can be quite challenging to sew as it doesn’t keep its shape. I have heard people using 100% cotton bedding and I think that works.

Thanks!

Nice one. Thank you. Using my mum’s 40yr old sewing machine. It’s a beast! Fingers crossed I don’t accidentally sew myself to the tablecloth…

You can have precut material – how many do you need?

I’ll be at the Space between 3.30 and 6.30 today for collection/drop off…or we can post stuff put

Wow. That’d be great. Only If there’s some going spare though. Don’t want to use vital supplies that are destined for frontline staff.
Currently cutting up old bedsheets and testing out my mums old 1970’s janome…

2 Likes

Nice! I have a 1974 Pfaff that looks very similar! Those machines are just so nice :grinning:

1 Like

I have the same one! Mine might need some maintenance as it rattled a bit last time I used it…

2 Likes

Yeah, mine needs servicing. It started going very slowly. Apparently that means it needs oiling. Probably has loads of dust inside too, so gonna take it apart and give it a once over at some point. I downloaded the user manual if you don’t have it already?Janome_581.pdf (2.7 MB)
The 580 and 581 are practically the same model.

Oh thanks, will do.