Hardwood group buy #2

Might be getting some more hardwood from SL soon (or some other supplier if there’s a better one). Anyone interested in banding together to save on delivery costs like last time? This applies to sheet materials as well.

When are you planning on making the order? Might be interested, but not quite got the bill of materials for my project yet…

no hurry, can wait until enough people jump on board

I’d be interested in a board or two. I’ve not ordered hardwoord before
I’m after something along the lines of the 19mm Thick, 140mm wide oak (probably the cheaper American red oak).

Do people generally buy the sawn boards or the PAR?

Getting sawn boards is well worth the savings as we are equipped to easily plane everything ourselves.

Also I think we should go and get the boards in a van this time. Will be cheaper, quicker, we can pick boards more carefully, it avoids problems with the order and we don’t have to have someone in the space all day waiting for delivery.

haven’t tried red oak, what’s it like ? must be a reason it’s that much cheaper. The SL site says it splits much more easily

Thanks, yes that was my feeling. I’ve not tried it but I think red oak is the poor man’s white oak but it’s probably fine for the project I have in mind and I’ll feel less bruised if balls it up.

1 Like

Ash is around the same price and can be nice. A lot of the Muji furniture is made of it.

I have a large van and would be willing to take a drive down.

1 Like

Awesome!

Depending on when this goes down, I might be up for about 4.8m of 25mm x 200mm White Ash, or something similar.

Would be best to send me a cut list for that width so I can pick out the best boards and be sure you can fit all your parts on them. 4.8m will be in two boards and there might be knot here and there in them.

Also note you will lose at least 5mm thickness after planing, possibly a bit more if you need long runs and the boards are cupped.

Cut list pretty straightforward… enough for two approximately 600mm x 800mm tabletops, at least 20mm thick. I was thinking that might be 6 times 200mm x 800mm x 25mm boards (3 per board). Not too worried about knots, kind of going for a slightly rustic/industrial look!

Depending on when you’re planning on going, I could probably come along as well - would be good to learn a bit more about buying wood with some people with experience!

You’ll also need to plane the edge, so you’ll lose a tiny bit of width. I doubt you’ll find boards exactly 200mm though, it’ll be more of a mix and match of sizes. Some of the knots could well be more like crumbly craters/holes, so really not useable unless you plan on filling them.

I’ll be away for 2 weeks so I won’t be planning on going until late september if that’s ok. But does give some time in case other people want to jump in

1 Like

I’d like to go down there and have a look at the oak too. Was thinking of going fairly soon but it would be good to go with someone who knows what to look for. I have a car with folding back seats so I can fit reasonably big bits in.

1 Like

Looks like we’ve got a little field trip to organise :smile:

2 Likes

I’d be up for joining in on this!

me too!

Great! Sort out your cut lists and we’ll make this happen. Making this post editable so you can add your orders. Remember to add sufficient margins for planing and cutting

@rosszeibari

@naxxfish

@Esther_Gladstone
Sapele 25mm, 300x3500mm

@peter_hellyer

@SarahJ
American red oak sawn board, 25mm, 300 x 3000 (I might change my mind about which kind of oak once I see it all)

@Twm
Oak American Red Sawn Board 25mm, W225 L2400
Ash American White Sawn Board 4x 25mm, W225 L1000

@Barnaby_Coote
Oak European 8x W150 L470 th25

1 Like

Thanks. sounds good. I think Ash might do for bigger project and I’m going to try red oak as I’m for smaller box - I wanted something with a bit of character.

@Barnaby_Coote thanks for organising this. Will you be able to help me with the planing? I’ve not done that before and was going to buy PAR but am up for doing it myself if you or someone else is available for help / guidance! Thank you!