Guitar Night last Friday!

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa49743a060> #<Tag:0x00007fa497439f20>

Frets buzzing? Pickups humming? Strings need changing? Or are you planning to finally start that dream build? Well, this Friday night at the Makerspace, the @luthiers group will gather in the Clean Room at the space to talk all things guitar (and at least one banjo). With experienced luthiers like @Oscario88 and @lamacchiacosta present, hopefully we can help you with basic setup and exchange experiences with instrument building. Please spread the word to other guitar-building members, although I’m afraid I don’t know your names, apart from @Howard. I have met other builders at the space, but they don’t seem to be on the @luthiers group. Who was the ex-music manager and keen cyclist who was spraying that body a few months ago?

Anyway, I have booked the Clean room for 6PM to 10PM this Friday 13th, along with an electronics bench for those humming pickups etc. I’ll bring a couple of problem instruments that need attention, an amp for “testing”, and maybe a pedal or three. So we can make some noise as well :slight_smile:

The luthiers group has long been dormant, so this is an attempt to revive it and hopefully make this a regular event along the lines of the famous Makerspace Bike Nights. The idea came up in a thread Luthiers group a few weeks ago.

3 Likes

@VintageSteel

1 Like

Time to dust off my old bass guitar then. Yay

Havent played it for around ten years because I broke my elbow and lost interest. Its defo got a dusty jack socket!

See you tomorrow night. Thank you.

1 Like

@fincheee looking forward to tomorrow! What sort of issues do your instruments have? I’ll have a think about any tools that I can bring in

1 Like

How violent would it be to turn a banjo from righthanded to left handed? It’s a five string so it’s going to a bit of a pig.

1 Like

My Yamaha electric acoustic has an action that feels way too high to me. I think the bridge insert needs to be lowered, but it looks like that would require cutting slots in the bridge structure to allow string clearance. But I don’t know - I’m hoping someone does!

The other one is my 5 string banjo. Something is wrong with the neck alignment, but I’m not expecting anyone to be a banjo expert! Maybe you can help me make sense of the regulator rod adjustment described on YouTube.

1 Like

Ahh thanks - I knew it was something to do with bike frames.

Hmmm, looking at my 5 string (photo attached) it seems that would be tough. The neck is wider on the side of the 5th string, so you would either have to widen it on the other side, or buy/make a new neck. Moving the tuning machine would be easy enough.

On your acoustic the bridge saddle can be removed and material sanded from the bottom in order to lower it. But it is worth looking at things like the truss rod first and leave saddle adjustments as the last step. We can have a look at it tonight.

I’ve just been working on a banjo as it happens so I am a little more familiar that I was. If the banjo needs the string heights to be adjusted this video seems to explain the process and looks quite straight forward. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IL9L-A7Xv4

Cool. Let’s try it tonight!

I completely forgot that I have to be somewhere else this evening. I will defo like to catch the next guitar evening. Have fun.

Guitar night - happening now!

1 Like

We had such a fun night! It was great catching up with everyone, hearing about what they’ve been working on, and chatting through different ideas and challenges.

If you couldn’t make it this time, no worries! We’ve already booked the next one for Friday, October 11th at 7 PM. Hope to see you there!

2 Likes

@luthiers we have our next evening this Friday! Who’s going to be around to meet up?

1 Like

Defo going to try and come along. Thanks Oscar.

Keep Smiling.
D

I might pop in! I’m interested in building a noisemaking thing with pickups, curious to see what you’re up to :cowboy_hat_face:

@fincheee would you be able to book the space for us? And show me how to on the night.

Done @Oscario88. Main table in Clean Room booked 7pm to 10PM, along with an electronics bench if it’s needed.

Unfortunately I cannot attend myself, because I have an early flight the next morning, HOWEVER my initial destination (Orlando FL) is right in the path of hurricane Milton so if the flight is cancelled I will be able to do guitar night.

I won’t be able to attend this round, just arrived in south Getmany.
See you on the following one!