Luthiers group

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa49e1b1b20>

Hi,

I am at college learning guitar making and doing some setups and repairs from home. I know that @FrancisRJ has been making guitars. Are there any other luthiers on here? I’ve seen there was a @luthiers group, is this still going? Do we have enough people to get it running again and share knowledge?

Here are a few pictures of my build from my last year at college.

9 Likes

Not a luthier but that guitar is stunning :heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

1 Like

Here too. Still learning the long process, with few projects in the pipeline, restoring neglected ones. I could join the luthiers group if it will start again.
Here, a couple of them I finished.

1 Like

I joined the group long ago but it’s now closed. I would be interested to learn

Hey @Oscario88,

Great work! Lovely pieces of wood youve used there, what is that body made of?

Great finish too, thats what I struggle to get right the most, what products do you use?

Definitely interested in any luthier get togethers.

Ive been a bit slack on my projects recently need to get back into it!

The best way to get a group like this going is by hosting a skill share and meetup. Invite members to bring in their guitars that need some attention, or projects in progress. Members with some expertise with simple setup, truss rod adjustment etc like @Oscario88 could help us learn how to do it for ourselves. The bike repair nights are a good model for this. Those already building could show what they have done so far and share tips, lessons learned etc.

So how about Friday evening, 30 August for the inaugural event?

Beautiful. What are those fret dots?

HSH pickup configuration… interesting.

Hi :smiley: there are about six members that make musical instruments (their is also an event once a year called hqckustics where you have to make a playable /workable instrument from scratch with no bought pieces ) we have a wire winder in the space so you can make your own pick up,s the wood shop crowd are always very helpful on the wood working side and also veneering and the metal work area you can make the string mount /tuning knobs /wammy bar / and the electronics benches for all your wiring needs. I hope this is of some help . Keep well . Brian D=

The 30th sound good to me.

The body is made out of a highly figured flamed walnut.

For the finish, I used z poxy finishing resin as a grain filler. Then rattle cans as I don’t have access to a spray booth, starting with nitro sandin sealer and then nitro clear gloss. Then wet and dry paper up to 2000 grit and finally liquid polishing compounds 5 - 7 in combination with a buffing machine https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0CM3N9DGV?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_fed_asin_title&th=1

There’s a great 3 part video that Stew Mac has done with Driftwood Guitars on the process https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntsiNsaaNHM

Great idea, John! I’d definitely be up for this. I’m away on that weekend. But I can do any weekend in September.

The fret dots are made from abalone shell. They have a lovely variation in colour.

For the pickups I have installed a 10 way switch which gets even more interesting. The first 5 positions has the pickups coil tapped so it acts like a standard strat SSS. The other 5 positions are combinations of the HSH.

Hey Brian, that sounds like great fun. I hope that I can be a part of the next one.

I’d heard that there was a pickup winder in the shop. Do you know where it is and I’ll take a look when I am next in?

That’s great. I would be amazing to be able to make the parts in the metal shop. Out of my skillset at the moment but I would love to learn and get everything bespoke.

Has anyone used the CNC machines to make templates? I could do with making some for me but we could also make them available to the other members.

Hi Oscar . :smiley: The winder machine is in the clean room on top of the white chest of draws, in the corner . Keep well . Brian D=

Yes, it always possible. I used it for my projects.

What have you used for the “Medley” signature?

Great. How can I get access to the big CNC? I’ve already done the mini CNC induction a while ago.

I’ve used a water slide decal from Rothko and Frost. They are super thin and with some careful application and sanding the edges with wet and dry part way through the finishing process you can get them invisible. https://rothkoandfrost.com/collections/pursuit-luthiery-headstock-decals-your-design

1 Like

Could this group meet on the evening of Friday 6th for our first event?

Good for me. I’ll book the space, clean room, 7-10pm

I’ve got Cornelius concert at Barbican that evening. I bought the tickets a year ago.
Any other days that week and the folloing one are good to me.