Focus tool missing

Id put it out of order if you say theres something wrong with x-axis just in case so it doesnt chew up the belt whatever it is

didn’t skip,only a dragging noise, maybe the rail just need some oiling…

No oiling!

1 Like

ok, I officially have no idea what I’m talking about.

1 Like

Good observation though!

1 Like

I’m sure there’s a spare one. I’m very careful and sure I put it back on Sunday.

1 Like

Is it worth having it outside the cutter on a wire or something?

Even being careful with it I’ve had it fall once and skitter about the floor, couldn’t we just obviate losing it by making it physically hard to remove from the laser?

1 Like

Update: The focus tool is back. It was in the laser cutter this morning.

1 Like

Great! Sure that isn’t the spare? Either way…

We have had this same discussion before:

Also - many may not know that the automatic focus is working and you may not always need the manual focus tool!

Speaking as a laser tech and long time MakerSpace member, I think we need to stop focusing on the replacement of parts and the can we make another replacement ourselves culture and sometimes just focus (No pun intended here) on the initial problem. We need to take better care of the tools and accessories we do already have so we don’t have to replace them. The laser should always be treated with care and your duty as a user is to ensure it is left in a good workable state for the next user. This includes looking after the focus stick. Please, please, please look after this amazing tool we have and speak out if you need help/assistance of notice an issue so we can resolve it promptly and correctly. Thanks.

5 Likes

Why are we not all just using autofocus? I assumed it was an option we didn’t have, I had no idea it was even a possibility.

Hey Andy, the link reffers to a different autofocus our laser cutter has and it does not work the same! Ours is the old verison that needs a bit more explaining. EDIT: it’s there, but it’s the second option, the light bar not the first one.

Woops - Ok cool! Yea ok if I put the instructions on how to use this feature on the Laser tool page? Especially for those who may have been inducted a while ago… is it part of the current induction?

Yes, @Jonathan! we should be treating our tools with care and cleaning up after ourselves and this won’t even be an issue…
thanks!

I do cover autofocus in the induction, but place more emphasis on the use of the stick.
I prefer to place the material close to the front, and focus there, rather than use the autofocus at the back of the bed.
Happy to adjust the messaging if there are other compelling suggestions.

Yea, no thats cool, as a long time laser user, I have never actually tried it! Maybe just a blurb on the tool page with instructions/caveats for those that want to use it.

Sounds like the stick should be the default method, but autofocus can be helpful in some cases…

Is the focus stick magnetic? Can we give it a specific home?

2 Likes

Yes - a specific home like this might help a lot!

4 Likes

Hi, has it been found? Just to confirm I had put the tool back after using the laser cutter last Thursday. The specific home looks like a good idea though!

1 Like

It has, no sweat. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m not sure what day I cut my bit, but I’m sure I put the tool back.