First Aid course

Hi All,

To all those doctors/medical professionals within the community. Is there anyway we could get a first aid course?

Im conscious that now I have shutter access I think I would feel more comfortable knowing if something happened I would be able to help in the cases of an emergency.

6 Likes

I’ve wanted to do something like this for a while.
I’d be happy to help run something like this but I would need to see if I would require additional certification to teach members of the general public. I’ll look into it because I agree, somewhere with live tools and electricity and sharp pokey bits and big lumps of wood should have people who are trained in first aid. Ideally we should have an AED at the space too.

4 Likes

AED and a Bleeding Control Kit.

3 Likes

We applied for a grant for an AED, but we are kinda hidden so didn’t get it - it needs to be available to the public…

1 Like

One of my back burner projects was an additional H&S intro for new members. I’m not confident that most new or even longstanding members would reliably remember the address of the arches in an emergency, or would remember to look for the discretely coloured signs in each arch put up for this purpose. Why? Because experience tells us that stress impairs people’s memory and critical thinking, and since we don’t explicitly tell members about emergency processes and we don’t systemically remind them of it so that it all surfaces in their minds during an emergency, odds are high they won’t remember.

We rely a lot on good judgement and personal responsibility, which is great, however I agree there are some steps we can take to make the space safer for everyone. Having more 1st aiders is a very good start.

1 Like

I was first aid and CPR certified back in the US and have been meaning to get certified here (I’d need to take a refresher course anyway). I’d be interested in anything sort of training or course happening in the space. especially something geared more towards the dangers and risks from all the machines and aforementioned pokey bits.

I know that a lot of first aid training companies will do group classes and certification, usually meant for businesses to do employee training. I haven’t looked into it much but I imagine if we get enough people interested it might be cheaper than everyone paying individually.

2 Likes

Myself Dermot , Petra and Rebecca all did a first aider course in the last couple of years.

Bleed control kit is a must especially for the wood/metal shops in arch 2, one was requested ages ago!

AED I think for the amount of members we have it is time we got one.

Chances of survival
Are about 40-50% with an aed compared to
9-20% with just cpr.

If you get an aed to someone within the first minute of collapse it goes up to 90%

With the amount of customers next door, maybe the @directors could ask birdhouse if they would share the cost of one. Maybe even ask Arch Co.
Maybe not!!!

2 Likes

We used a company called Siren training, they can come in or they also offer drop in classes around London resulting in certification of First aid competency. It last three years. they have a good quality/price ratio. I used them again when booking for volunteers in my workshop in Camden just earlier this year. Fully recommend them for all techs in the space.

There is a defibrilator in the Herne Hill train station, that said it would take at least 15 minutes to get it down to the arches so am in full support of making it happen for the arches. The price for one is between 500 - 1200 gbp.

1 Like

Just been pointed at this from a thread I started on getting an AED.

LAS run a non acredited Emergency Life Support training scheme. There’s the option to get extra training in controlling catastrophic bleeding and anaphylaxis as well. Maximum of 10 people and would cost 450 for the main thing and 50 each for the two additional options if either/both were wanted (so 50-60 quid per person basically).

1 Like

Can’t speak for other services but London Ambulance can input what3words locations directly into our system so might be worth getting them up with the address. (Also we can text people a direct link to look it up even if they don’t have the app).

Searching for SLMS on the app gives a W3W of Sorted.Stared.Cases but happy to check if that’s definitely the best one next time I’m at the space :slight_smile:

1 Like

Through IPS, my trade association, I’ve just done one I am happy with.

Clarendon Training Ltd
18 Brackenwood, Midhurst, West Sussex, GU29 0FB
07816 166130

Cost is around £75 per participant (I don’t know if the association covered part of it).
Keep in mind there should be a yearly refresher.

I have kept my CPR and first aid certifications current for years, but they both recently expired, so I would be VERY keen on participating if there is any course going on.
Also very interested in pediatric CPR and first aid (I understand this probably won’t happen with SLMS).

Me too actually. If we can organise

If there is enough interest I am sure we can host a training, but I think individual members would need to pay their own course fees. No one works here or is in on a guaranteed schedule so I don’t see how we can justify choosing people out of all the members.

1 Like

Completely agreed!
I would be happy to put aside a few quid to budget for this and pay for my course!

1 Like

I’m current with my 1st aid and CPR and get the training through work anyway but happy to chuck 20 quid towards say a tech getting a place if cost were to be an issue for any of them?

1 Like

I was also going to suggest using What3Words for the space as a way of communicating our location to the emergency services in case of an emergency. How about sign posting it along the address and letting everyone know where the information is displayed?

As for AED it’s probably a good idea to do a collection and buy one. They are around £800 (maybe more) so about £3 or less if all members chip in? There will also be annual maintenance costs, battery costs etc which would need to be taken into consideration.

As for first aid course – I have qualifications from work – but obviously it would be difficult / impossible to organise a trained first aider at all times. I think everyone should try to educate themselves – there are a lot of online resources. But it would also be really useful to maybe organise a session in the space concentrating on the type of injuries that are likely to occur at SLM due to the type of activities that are taking place there. The more we know the less likely we are going to panic should something happen. Maybe a virtual training to keep the costs down?

1 Like

I’ll be in on Saturday so can confirm the W3W for arch 1 and 2 then :slight_smile:

Right so checked the W3W earlier

Arch 1 entrance is: knee.ozone.bench
Arch 2 entrance is: ship.spider.monks

It might make sense to have way points for the entrances as well as there’s two street entrances which might be needed to figure out how to get to the arches.

1 Like