Ex Machina screening and 'science behind it' talk at Makerspace Weds 11th May!

Yes! For one night only we’re becoming the South London MovieSpace (if someone want’s to hack our logo?)

We’re hosting Ex Machina as part of the Herne hill Free film Festival which runs through the whole of May.

But not only are we screening the fantastic movie Ex Machina, but thanks to @peter_hellyer we also have Murray Shanahan (scientific advisor to the film) presenting a short talk followed by Q&As on the real science that inspired the film.

Some blurb…

Alex Garland, writer of 28 Days Later and Sunshine, makes his directorial debut with the stylish and cerebral thriller, EX MACHINA.

Caleb Smith (Domhnall Gleeson), a programmer at an internet-search giant, wins a competition to spend a week at the private mountain estate of the company’s brilliant and reclusive CEO, Nathan Bateman (Oscar Isaac). Upon his arrival, Caleb learns that Nathan has chosen him to be the human component in a Turing Test-charging him with evaluating the capabilities, and ultimately the consciousness, of Nathan’s latest experiment in artificial intelligence. That experiment is Ava (Alicia Vikander), a breathtaking A.I. whose emotional intelligence proves more sophisticated–and more deceptive–than the two men could have imagined.

The screening will be followed by a talk and Q&A session with Murray Shanahan.

Murray Shanahan is Professor of Cognitive Robotics at Imperial College London. His book “Embodiment and the Inner Life” was a significant influence on Ex Machina, and he was a scientific advisor for the film. His most recent book, “The Technological Singularity” (2015), looks into the future of artificial intelligence.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI8XBKb6DQk

there’s some very intereing screenings, take a peek:

Tickets will be on a first-come-first-served basis as this is the convention of the Festival.

Also: bring something to sit on! We have about ten chairs, two sofas and a hard floor…

3 Likes

or

2 Likes

Second one does it for me!

1 Like

Could be extended up and down a bit, but this version is square like our regular logo :slight_smile:

You mean to show the top and bottom of other cells?

Just a few more sprocket holes so it’s unambigous you’re seeing extra frames, rather than the thin sliver in that version.

Eh. We’re picking nits - this is fine I think.

1 Like

How about a ‘South London Makerspace’ with ‘movie’ pasted over at an angle? Corny, but tells the story?

EDIT: to compliment this, not replace it!

Someone else will have to step up I think…

1 Like

Ditto. The 2nd looks good. More obviously like film

This is on this Wednesday…

You’ll need to bring a chair or a cushion to sit on unless you’re one of the first ten people there…and even then…

If we want to provide more chairs, I have 6 folders here if someone wants to pick them up (don’t have time to drop them round really)

1 Like

I’ve got two folders here I’ll fling in the back of the car.

I’ve been AWOL. I’ll have time from later tonight again. What can I do to help? I’m still super-excited about Ex Machina + panel.

Planning of the day would be good.

When do we open the doors for a 7.30 screening? 7pm?

How do we control numbers? Could give people a rubber stamp on their hands and make a note/stamp on a numbered sheet? The convention is ‘first come first served’ but this would still fulfil this, and allows people to go get a beer and mingle. They could stick a label on a chair they find or bring?

How to get the ‘bring your own chair’ message out. What to do for those that don’t? Cushions? Rugs? Something to make the floor more comfortable.

Think of any Makerspace gimmicks that work for us, some points of distinctiveness? Might just be the 3d printer running and something laser cutting? Or some interesting projection on the ceiling.

Do we need a blackout? Might still be light at 8.50…

Big printouts of our movie logo to add to the boards we put out?

could we laser-cut some kind of makefilmspace widget? that we could hand out, as both a kind of ticket and a ‘look makerspace is wicked cool, we should join’ take home? Certainly everyone should leave with some kind of propaganda, be it leaflet shaped or otherwise.

Probably blackout is a good idea. I have a throw in the back of my car, not sure it would be big enough though. Could check. That said, the vinyl floor is arriving tomorrow touch wood and that’s 2*6m, so might be a suitable material at a pinch.

Interesting projection on the ceiling, 3d printers running, something lovely cutting on the cutter, all good things whilst people arrive.

Have you been in touch with Murray some more, Dermot? I could message with directions etc unless you have that covered already?

I haven’t been in touch with Murray since the last email I shared.

Do you want to do the honours and see of there’s anything he needs? I’m happy to do it, but a tad busy…

Proper reply later, but while passing –

One of us should try meet Murray at the station, or however he’s getting here. Point of courtesy for hosting a speaker.

Tin foil makes for a perfect black out.

I’ll make sure there’s Makerspace-y distinctiveness. I’ll have some kind of Makerspacey-screensaver worked up by then.

Toby

I understood that Murray was quite local, but it’s a good point about etiquette. So @peter_hellyer is it better for me to send the email, so that it’s formally from the Makerspace?

Tinfoil? We can reuse it later to make hats…

Yea, you’re probably right, all for correct etiquette. I’ll hold fire.

1 Like

Also need to think about the queue, assuming there’s one.

Members who actively help in the setting up should have a place in the audience, others will need to queue like everyone else, or wait and see if there’s space.

Seem fair?