Ex Machina screening and 'science behind it' talk at Makerspace Weds 11th May!

Seems reasonable. For my part, I’ll try to be there for half 6.

We should also remember to unplug the doorbell!

And print a "sorry, we’re closed for a film screening’ to go on the door

Me – I’m flexible from when I can be there. Have work to do, but can get to space if needed through the day.

Opening time – 7pm seems fair. No earlier.

Numbers – What’s the stated capacity of Phase 1? I think having us as bouncers on the door should be managable for the kind of crowd / numbers / narrowness of door, but getting chairs through could cause havoc there. I do like the token idea.

Tokens – Are there materials in the space we could use? I ordered a load of materials last night from Hobarts, but unlikely they’ll get here before tomorrow night.

Cleaning floor – I can’t see what we can do re. cushions, but we’ll have to clear and clean the floor properly. Remove any chance of any nasty getting stuck in skin, let alone cleanliness.

Tinfoil – Do we need. If so, who is going to get? Plus white-tack?

Kit – Who has it? Do we know what it is? Where will it fit? How it works?

Top+Tail projection – I imagine we should use a second projector to use for our own imagery before and after the screening, and cover/uncover lenses to switch.

Compére – Who is doing this? And what’s the format afterwards? Compére has a few pre-prepared questions, and then from the crowd? Or…?

Phase 1 – Is it clear? Do we have a plan for where stuff is going to be shoved to? Do we want to keep people out of Phase 2? Easier to manage capacity if so, but we’ll likely want to ‘tour’ afterwards?

Erm, that’s me for now. And, should we be doing this in the open?

Transferring the content of the last few posts to open is a good idea.

HHFFF will provide the kit. We also have my projector in the space to use for us/Murray.

We’ll need to shift the tables out of phase 1, and have a good tidy.

Fire regs say 60 people. What’s a realistic number in that space with the tables moved? I guess 60 is doable?

The ply I used for the keyrings can be used for this too. There’s half a sheet that’s mostly sprayed gold.

Do we need a compare? I’m happy to control andbthank the crowd.

Murray said he would do a short talk followed by questions. But I agree it works best when someone else is watching the crowd and choosing the quesrioneers. And that person is wise if that have a fairly good question to kick things off after that dead pause when no one speaks…

Will get to rest later, but what exactly does this mean? What is it, when will it turn up? I ask as questions like where will the screen, projector go can eat a surprising amount of time.

Brent is bringing the projector, screen and sound system at about 6.30. When we scoped it he was happy that it would work with the screen against Phase1/2 partition wall and the projector on a table in the middle. I wondered whether raising it up above head height would allow more audience.

Right, it has been scoped by person with kit, good. Capacity will be a chunk less if the projector table has to block sightlines. Screen height always ends up being judged in-situ.

1 Like

We have a selection of step ladders that might come in handy

So who would introduce Murray, and then kick off questions?

@peter_hellyer I imagine you might know something of the ‘science behind’ to lead this?

We also need some buckets to collect donations at the end. I’ll bring these.

I suggest Dermot does the pre-film “This is Makerspace and I’m a Trustee” and then afterwards Pete and I do “We’re members with Ex_Machina interests” and work the Q&A.

Also: https://vimeo.com/72090729

Occupancy is max. 60 for fire regs. With rows of chairs, we could fit that many in and still watch a film, but floor sitting takes up more space. I suggest 45 as a comfortable number to stop admissions and reassess at. A raffle book is a cheap way of counting out numbered tokens.

The festival website still has the location arrow on Croxted Road. I suggest putting up a sign on those gates with correct location info.

If anyone can pop by my place beforehand, I have 6 folding chairs we can use. Let me know.

Me and Lucas will call round just before 6, will that work?

A good plan!

Train noise. Do we just live with it?

Other options: turn sound up, or pause movie.

Yes. You’ll probably have to wrestle the chairs out from behind a corner table as Fay will have her hands busy with the kids. I’ll warn her you’re coming :slight_smile:

Tis what it is. The PA will have to cope. We’ll prob have to manage volume in the first 10 mins or so, as people absorb sound levels can’t really be judged beforehand.

Whirled Arts cinema in Lougborough Junction is in a railway arch and the noise isn’t a big deal. The rumbling is low frequency and you can hear dialogue over it.

@marketing is someone able to give this a bit of social media love? I’ve just done a tweet, but am very pushed for time at the moment.

Delivery arrived. Perspex for movie tokens is go.

Social media: I can only tweet, so you’ve already done what I can.

Can someone make a very quick design up for the tokens presumably based on the Movie-Space logo? I’m a bit pushed for time during the day today.