End grain chopping boards

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa49ae7efa0>

Hello fellow makers.

I’m about to finish my second chopping board (just need the laser back online and to oil)

And thinking about making at least two more

like this but one inverse.

I’ve had people ask me about making them, what tools I use, methods ect.

I was wondering if there would be any interest in me doing a session, weather it be just a chat with a group, or making some boards as a team?

Also I’m looking at ordering some wood for the above beards from SL hardwood in Croydon, does anyone else want to order some wood and to split Delivery?

Please let me know about any interes in a session or a lumber order

7 Likes

I might be! Want to also make a second one.

What oil have you been using? Just mineral oil? Tried Tung oil and it definitely has a lingering odor that the partner doesn’t like

I’ve used Howard’s before on my boards,

Although I used

Workshop heaven walnut oil on my goblets and it also appears good

Let me know about any wood you want ordered

Cheers! How often do you re-oil?

Need to first make a list of projects, when were you looking to order?

Don’t re oil all that often if I’m being honest, generally when it looks like it needs it.

In regards to ordering, I was going to do it on the weekend, I feel I was spurred on by the working drum sander, I’m after a piece of maple and a piece of walnut. Given what I currently have on, I will probably need them this week or not until may

Apologies, but work shipped me off to Glasgow for the week so I won’t have time to make a plan this week, unfortunately, so go ahead without me!

1 Like

I’m interested.

Also ordering some materials, but tbh I wouldn’t know what to order until at the moment!

1 Like

Im also keen for a group session. I would have to source some materials a well but it sounds like a nice project.

1 Like

Ditto for group session

1 Like

me too!

1 Like

Also interested in a group session

1 Like

Here is an oiled photo

Sounds like I’ve got to arrange a session, let me get my diary and see when I can make time.

In this group session would you want to be making your own boards? Or just talk theory?

3 Likes

This is such a great idea! I’d be so down for a group session, I think that’s the only way to deal with my inner procrastinator.

2 Likes

I’ve put together this pole on what sort of session people would like, I could potentially arrange an order of lumber and run a session where we all make the same simple boards if that’s something people are interested in.

• Informational Session only
  • Guidance session on making your own chopping boards
  • Wood and plans provided session

0 voters

Let me know

I’m interested too

Looks lik we’re pretty divided between wood provided and BYO wood, I think the best way forward will be for me to put together a wood order for those who want in then run the sessions at the same time.

I’m not sure how many people we can get into one session given the tools requred, the amount of clamps we have and space we have to do glue ups.

We will need to run this as a minimum of two days as curing time is required for the glue. Then we need to finish.

I’ll mock up a simple design (the more complex the more glue ups required and such more more days required) and some sessions and come back to this forum

6 Likes

Thanks so much, Paul! Appreciate the time and effort you’re putting into this!

I would also love to learn and participate in this!

2 Likes