Emf 2022

Who is planning to go?

I’m planning to go if I can get tickets, currently submitting some ideas via the call for participation.

3 Likes

I’ll be there!

I’m going too, with family

1 Like

Yep - got my tickets already!

1 Like

A reminder that tickets go on sale tonight at 7pm if anyone is interested.
https://blog.emfcamp.org/2022/02/16/emf-2022-ticket-sale-dates-and-cfp/

3 Likes

Thanks for the reminder :smiley: . Got my tickets now!

2 Likes

I’m ticketed!

2 Likes

Bagged a ticket in the last release this evening :+1:

2 Likes

Managed to snag 2 in the first release!

2 Likes

I’ve just had two talks accepted!

The pitches I submitted are below. Would anyone be interested in giving feedback, helping me work out what to cover or helping out on the day?

Building mathematical structures with modular origami

Description: Work together to build amazing shapes.

Create core units and combine them into a range of different shapes. Explore the range of shapes you can create. Discover what is possible, what isn’t and why.

Additionally: Bring your old train tickets or cards. Learn to turn them into cubes that you can keep or add to our growing Menger sponge.

Designing for the Laser Cutter

Description: Learn the basics of how to design for the laser cutter. Deciding on engraving vs cutting. Considerations when creating 3D objects.

During the workshop you will create a design to engrave your name, engrave a picture and learn how to create basic boxes.

Learn a few tips and tricks - contrast for engraving, converting to vectors for cutting, cuts to allow you to curve wood, locking mechanisms.

3 Likes

Are we going to have a village?

Also I happen to know that they are a bit short of workshops for younger kids - could any of the Festival activities be repeated?

1 Like

I did a mini workshop that we were going to offer about a year or so ago which was cancelled due to the plague but it was various Origami pieces, modular and just fun Christmas stuff, very interested to learn more about this if you are a modular origami expert… :slight_smile:

I’m not going to be at EMF but in general if we could design a workshop for Maker Festival for origami then I’d be up for helping out with that… I’m not an expert but very big fan of all things origami :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Wow those are beautiful!
That sounds great. I’ve created a sperate thread to avoid spamming everyone - EMF 2022 Workshop Planning

I will be in the space tomorrow for the laser induction - will you be around?

1 Like

Great question - what would we need to do to have a village?

Maybe later on in the afternoon or early evening and also potentially on Sunday, I’m also down there this evening briefly for an hour or so to do some laser cutter stuff…

I think we should have a gather up beforhand to discuss, EMFNight anyone?

3 Likes

That sounds good - when works for people?

Re a village could we do something chill and low key - e.g. be the tea and biscuits village (nothing to do with me wanting tea every 5 mins I assure you).

I’m building a modular origami made of train tickets (it looks like this https://origami.kosmulski.org/models/menger-sponge-level-2-business-card) which I’d love to have people contribute to throughout the event. I might laser cut a ticket drop off box, and run a few sessions where people can help build. Its currently at level 1 and I’d love to build it out to a level 2 menger sponge by the end of the weekend.

1 Like

Yeah, we need to get on and register a village

1 Like

What do we need to have in place before we register?

I have done what I seem to do every EMF, which is not come to SLMS for like 18 months and then desperately come pleading to be able to come shack up in our village again :stuck_out_tongue:

I think I’m going to try and rent a car this year, so if you want some help with moving/village registgering etc, let me know!

1 Like