Cutting vinyl records

I would like to repurpose some worn-out vinyl records by cutting them into letters. Can this be done on the lasercutter? Or is there a better way @lasertechs ?

Ah that’s a big no-no on the laser as vinyl contains chloride, cutting that on the laser is both poisonous and destroys the machine.

We do have a vinyl cutter at the space, but i don’t know if that can cut something as thick as a record, or how well it works with round shapes - maybe it would work if embedded in some sort of square template?

T’internet reckons you can heat them in the oven and cut with tinsnips, or use a hot knife (which I reckon will also give off chlorine so would not be very healthy or safe). I will give the oven method a go though!

Thanks Rob, I remember seeing previous discussions about vinyl now.

1 Like

Yes they become very malleable when heated

I wonder if you can attach a metal blade to a soldering iron iron and then use it like a hotknife.

1 Like

I think I’d print the letters onto paper and stick them on the records, then just bandsaw them.

2 Likes

A fine piercing saw might work to avoid breakage. I can bring one in.

Hiya!

This might be a good test of the Mini CNC! Ping me if you want to give it a go - and your letters are smaller than the working dimensions listed on the tool page…

Cheers,
Andy

3 Likes

Nice…but I’d say that record is virtually unplayable now…

3 Likes

But now they know what time it is!! :joy:

2 Likes

Well, you know that they say, even a broken record is right twice a day

3 Likes

Cutting letters in vinyl. Sounds like a perfect use of the electric fretsaw/ jigsaw. Simple and very accurate. K.I.S.S.

i left DONATED a set of p[plastic letters at the space stencils use them if you can find them

1 Like