This has been a massive learning project for me and my first attempt at mortises and tenons, and comes right on the back of my recent desk build. I’ll post more pics as I wrap up the project.
First step was to glue two boards together to then cut down into the table leg blanks. I then clamped together a mock-up to work out what I wanted the final dimensions to be:
After cutting the rest of my pieces to size, I cut out the mortises on the mortiser - this has become my most satisfying tool to use in the space. It makes square holes!!
And the mortised leg:
Unfortunately I didn’t get a pic of the jig I used on the table saw to taper the legs - it was pretty simple! Thanks to @joeatkin2 for the tips, I was going to make something overly complicated. Next up was cutting the tenons on the band saw. I didn’t trust the fence we have on there, so I clamped down a squared piece of wood, which helped:
Here’s a tip @ryanf gave me to help square the shoulders of the tenons, this worked extremely well:
Chopping off the corners of the tenons so they’ll actually fit:
Dry-fitting the parts:
Laser-etching the underside of the table top:
As far as gripes I’ve had with the project, I accidentally cut all four legs exactly the same instead of reversing two of them - this makes it so that one glued and one solid leg edge face each direction. The other one I’m trying to figure out is the presence of a bunch of small black inclusions in the wood - I’m trying to figure out if I did something to make these appear, or if they were always there - I’ll add a picture of what I’m talking about later.