CNC milling machine offered

@RobertL we would like to try another F-F null modem serial cable if you have one! Pop it in the blue box of CNC parts on top of the machine, that would be amazing! Thanks!

Will do when I can find them

1 Like

Hey @RobertL did you get a chance to look for the cable? I may buy one if it’s still required so we can get back onto the testing…
thanks.

I am going to come in later tonight and give it another go…

1 Like

Any chance this is what you need?

Each end has both 9 and 25 pins.

Could work! Bring it in and well try it out!! Thanks!

Ok, I might not be able to get there until Thurs, but I’ll try and pop by and will leave it on top of the machine.

1 Like

Any developments @asander1?

Did the I/O test - no real change:

The COM port is working all the way to the end of the serial cable - just tested and patched the TX to RX and can see what I type in Putty…

So unless the settings we are using are incorrect - I think this machine is broken. From the original advert it says the machine runs, but uses old software - I think the software is working fine, but still isn’t able to see the machine…

Here are the settings in case we are missing something:

It is definitely communicating! The machine is just not ‘ready’ - if I don’t have the cable connected or the machine on I get this instead of the above error 8.

1 Like

Have you checked all the emergency stop buttons are not pressed? I haven’t looked at this machine but remember using a cnc in past that would have similar not enabled messages if e stop activated.

1 Like

Yes, you have to release the emergency stop button for the power button to work… It appears to power up - fan and a relay come on - not sure what else (if anything) it is supposed to do at that point… but still unable to communicate with it…

1 Like

I figured you would have checked that but just wanted to make sure! Bit of a guess - is there any data coming out of the CNC - i.e can you detect it with an oscilloscope? As I just noticed the baud rate can be adjusted in your screenshots - especially if it’s old perhaps it needs a different/slower one - if they are mismatched you wouldn’t see anything coming back in the PC but you might be able to detect with a scope and then figure which way to adjust.

We checked the baud on the board as mentioned in the user manual that comes with the machine and all looks correct… we did try and few other baud values but also had no luck.

@ChrisO any suggestions? You seem to be the only person with expertise in this machine.

I’ll try to get out to my machine and pc in the garage on Thurs. I’ll see what settings I’ve got. I can’t say I’m an expert; it was ‘plug and play’ each time I’ve used one. You have tried the key switch on the machine in both positions? Can you open the door when it is powered up? Only other thing I can do is to bring in my pc, cables etc. to see if we can eliminate components.

that may be a great idea. Are you local to the MakerSpace?

We did try the key and door and all combinations - but doesn’t hurt to try again!!

I’m the other side of Croydon. I’ve been to the space a few times. I could do this Thurs or Sunday if that works.