CNC milling machine offered

Hi Folks, Did you manage to get this working?

Hi @Courty how’s this project going?

The project has stalled ! work has stopped play :frowning:

I could really do with some help to carefully strip the old boards out help wire in new boards and drivers.
Anyone fancy helping with the project ?

Courty

1 Like

Hi @Courty

I’m happy to help but electronic skills are a bit basic so if you don’t mind guiding me, I’m up for the challenge

Royful

I’d be available to help out with this too if you need the hands.
Kev

I take it there is no dongle and possibility of running on the original software?

There’s no dongle…but that doesn’t mean we can’t get one…

@Will @Courty know the most about this

Hi Chris, thanks for the offer.

Short version of progress to date !
Dongle cost £300 and not sure they would sell us one anyway (SW out of date and unsupported), current electronics are old and very poor but machine good, machine needs a strip out and replacement electronics, need volunteers to take charge due to lack of my time currently…

Courty

Most recent Galaad update was 4th Feb 2019 so still looks supported.
I think it is possible to trial without payment.
"Limited trial without licence: if you do not have a Galaad licence, then the automatic milling and the export of files will be limited to 10 design items, each one having a maximum of 50 co-ordinates. This should allow you to test the machine drive in real conditions. "

The boards may however be old and slow compared to modern stuff. (I’ve only done profiling and pocketing on mine in the last 10 yrs)

I’d be happy to help with this.

Hey Ed- lets give this thing a go! We talked a bit about it after the members meeting, when are you next in?

Cheers,
Andy

Count me in

Hi Folks!

@Jonathan and I were back at this CNC today! Goal is to get it functional with the original software- Galaad 3. If it works we can get a full license for it, but there is indeed and evaluation copy that does enough to prove the machine is operating correctly.

So the PC and Galaad 3 are working fine, we tried 2 COM ports, one built in, one via USB-serial adapter, both appear to be working fine, but we still cannot establish communication with the CNC machine. I tested the serial cable and have it connected the right way around- it is asymmetrical.

On initialisation it just says to power the machine on, which we have done, we think… so a bit stuck for now but will get back to it later on today or tomorrow.

Here is a picture of it in all its glory:

1 Like

@ChrisO if you are still about, any help is greatly appreciated!!

Cheers

Have a look under >Parameters >Machine

There’s an in/out test and options to choose machine and controller.

I can’t offer further help now but should have time next weekend.

Cheers
Chris

3 Likes

Hi Andy, do you think this cable is asymmetric?
https://uk.rs-online.com/mobile/amp/p/products/1828781/?cm_mmc=UK-PLA-DS3A--google--CSS_UK_EN_Cables_And_Wires_MOB--Computer_Cable_Assemblies%7CSerial_Cable_Assemblies--PRODUCT_GROUP&matchtype=&pla-415561992144&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqLywpaD-5QIVQbTtCh2OGALnEAQYCSABEgJ_BPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Cool, sounds good!! Will coordinate! Thank you!

What Windows version?

Perhaps test the PC serial connection with a known working device?

Windows 10- tested using Putty as well, good idea to check it with something else though and maybe another serial cable if anyone still has any!!?

I’ve got some bits and pieces

1 Like