CNC Mill Proposal Autumn'17

Ah, interesting point… I happily re-state my offer made earlier in a related post (this forum is a bit like Hogwarts, things move in a spooky way) :slight_smile:
If we are canvassing members to support this investment (either as general expenditure or as a fundraiser, or a mix of both) then we ought to be upfront about the usability issues.
I had not considered the noise but just looked it up and it is well possible to exceed the safe limits with some of those mills. That would then reduce the utility of the space to other members while a milling operation is taking place?
So it is possible that there might be restricted time slots for milling?

Just asking daft questions, it’s my Job…
signed, Columbo

The enclosure can be sound-proofed. Even if we make it ourselves. It’s less loud than a wood router anyway.

If extra investment means additions that increase safety, ease of use and longer table travel, which means more appeal to a wider section of the membership, then I’m for it. A safely enclosed machine, around 1HP, with easy tool changes and good software seems like the right way to go.

Granted this tool has a learning curve for full use but there are different ways of using it, 2D milling stuff on a thick sacrificial wasteboard should be within reach of people who can use the laser cutter. We can set a fixed library of tools and speeds, have small consumable/breakable end mills for beginner users who may be at risk of crashing the machine into itself. Those who learn the wood router with harrison will also be able to apply their knowledge on this machine, since it works in the same way.

2 Likes

For our proposal: manufacture of nuclear weapons without further industrial support.

1 Like

Could we do this sort of thing with the CNC mill?

Do we have any other way of routing styrofoam to make a cast?

Yes easily - as long as it fits on the machine a mill would run through it.

1 Like

Cool. I wasn’t at the demo for the 8x4 CNC. But can that machine do styrofoam too? Would ideally like to cast large pieces (tabletops etc) using GFRC spray concrete, so being able to route full sheets of styrofoam would be amazing.

I wasn’t at the demo either - but yes it should be capable of doing foam easily.

Just to keep confusion to a minimum, remember that we’re skirting around two different devices with different use cases here - a mill, which is what is discussed in this thread, which ideally does small high precision objects, and a router, which is what is being discussed for loan, which is for smashing up larger sheets of material accurately

1 Like

Understood.

Is it too much to hope we get both?! :wink:

very likely infact :wink:

we have already agreed funding for a CNC mill, but it needs work from someone to bring together a firm proposal as to what / how / where any extra funds will come from @Barnaby_Coote has already put some time into this above

The Router, on the other hand which is discussed elsewhere, needs a clear description of the terms and conditions of the loan, which I think is in the ballpark of @lewisss :slight_smile:

1 Like

Could you point this funding agreement out?

I don’t understand when this happened but I’ve seen figures up to £6k talked about but that seems like a hug amount of cash.

It would be good to understand what amount were actually talking about here?

@metaltechs @directors

Sorry if added to many people for this post just was interested to know if this was going forward as I would love to try this out :grimacing: