CNC Mill Proposal Autumn'17

That’s Ande of FabLab London, and now GreenLab

Definitely a router, not a mill. This is the one I had when I was head of DT.

also not a bridgeport. I was talking about these
https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bridgeport-Interact-1-mk-2-cnc-milling-machine-/332408202459?hash=item4d6512a4db%3Ag%3AKBUAAOSw9fRZ2mn~&_trkparms=pageci%3A5bf84ad5-aff0-11e7-a2ba-74dbd18059f3%7Cparentrq%3A14d87c1f15f0a9c572f8970ffffbf054%7Ciid%3A1

There’s also this thing listed. Full enclosure.

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bridgeport-Interact-720-Cnc-Vmc-/222662917321?hash=item33d7be7cc9%3Ag%3AgycAAOSwHqRZ0NB1&_trkparms=pageci%3A5bf84ad5-aff0-11e7-a2ba-74dbd18059f3%7Cparentrq%3A14d87c1f15f0a9c572f8970ffffbf054%7Ciid%3A4

Specs below. A whopping 720mm travel in X
Another scam ad?
It weighs 3 TONS :smile:

I like this one. We can repurpose the retro controller as a membership kiosk!

1 Like

That’s too big and too heavy, surely?

Concrete will fix the weight issue.
But yes it’s big. But that’s what you get for so much travel.

On the plus side the enclosure looks like it will dull the noise a lot.

It has automatic tool change. Nice and safe.

Really nice machine. Here it is running with the enclosure open.

This looks much better than a tormach. Powerful spindle, nice high feed rate. It packs several times the hp of the 770.
It rapids really quick, nice time saver.
The automatic tool change is super neat!

Could also be a scam though

It’s huge

2 Likes

Not surprising
You could machine an engine block with this thing :smile:

£5.5k + vat is pretty decent though

Ah, yes, Boxford…begins with ‘B’…similarity ends…sorry

@Dermot any feedback on the price list I made for the tormachs and seig? Are we writing off tormachs as too expensive?

I think we should rule out boxfords, not versatile enough and expensive

That would leave us either seig or ebay

I think it would be worth thinking about what could be done with a pledge drive here. This has worked well for other tools in the past. But admittedly, if you wanted to go for the tormach, the amount to raise would be in the order of 5-6K.

I could possibly pledge a few hundred
@Sponge_Bob @lewisss @Calum_Nicoll
Interested?

We still need an official shipping and duty estimation. Might be crazy expensive.

I don’t think we should rule out the Tormach simply because it’s a high ticket item. As we mature we need to look seriously at equipment like this. If it can offer enough added value then a case can be made for it. Along with a pledge drive maybe.

2 Likes

Indeed, we should not be afraid to think big.

2 Likes

May not have up-front capital readily available for a pledge, but totally happy to pay an increased monthly fee should we start bringing in these sorts of machines. Others may feel the same. Just something to bear in mind.

1 Like