Change to the Basic Woodshop Inductions

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa4a10f3de8>

Hello Woodworkers,

As we continue to refine our approach to the basic Woodshop induction, we are proposing the below process:

Basic Induction - Becomes Woodshop Level 1 (1- 1.5 Hours) - £5 fee

• General health and safety
  • Compressor
  • Work bench
  • Clamps and vices
  • Saws and knives
  • Chisels, hammers and mallets
  • Hand planes, drills and drivers
  • Electric sanders
  • Mitre Saw
  • Cleaning Up

Basic Induction (power tools) - Becomes Woodshop Level 2 (1.5 hours) - £5 fee

• Jigsaw
  • Pillar Drill
  • Mitre Saw
  • Bandsaw
  • Cleaning up

You’ll notice a few things from the above:

• All power tools baring the sanders and mitre saw have been removed from Woodshop Level 1
  • The Bandsaw has now been included in the Wooodshop Level 2 induction

We’re hoping this new split will get members into the Woodshop and making. It’ll also take pressure off the inductors to give a 4 hour induction during a weeknight. We’ll trial this new approach and see how it goes, but it may very well be changed in the future as we balance space access and safety.

We would love to hear your thoughts on this new process. If you are an experienced woodworker and want to contribute some time to the space, we are actively looking for inductors across all our tools. If you’re not sure you’re capable of inducting, we provide training and will sit through 1 or 2 inductions with you to make sure you’re comfortable.

Thanks all.

7 Likes

@woodtechs @Ryanf Hi the guys, I am a new member and I have a project for the woodshop to make some boxes for my vinyl record collection. I Would love to get to is ASAP but need the first induction. Is the any way I can make a that happen this week? I will be willing to pay extra to Makerspace. I will become the workshop slave to get the induction out the way lol. But if anyone can help me it will hugely be appreciated.

1 Like