Would people be interested in learning how to make Mandalorian/cosplay armour?

So, as you might have seen in my very, very slow progress with my helmet (which I’m considering reprinting too…), I’m currently working on a Mandalorian cosplay - I’m doing so as part of an organisation called the Mando Mercs, which are one of the main Star Wars cosplay groups.

The Mercs sometimes run what they call “Armour parties” - effectively events where people who’re interested can turn up to learn about and get started on making their own Mandalorian armour/learning some techniques that are good for making costumes as a whole. I’ve spoken to the Directors, and if there’s enough interest from the membership we’ve been given the green-light to arrange one at SLMS (subject, of course, to permission from @woodtechs, as we’d need to invade the woodshop for an evening and use some of the hand tools within).

Would people be interested in me setting up an event like that? Feel free to ask if you’d like any more details!

2 Likes

Count me in!

Hi Huw,

Sounds good! - I am an idiot and forgot that woodshop use needs induction even for hand tools and we haven’t quite sorted out the deal with non-inducted members and induction tools, but maybe this is a good opportunity to get it on paper. Will do this on the other thread though…

Cheers,
Andy

Hey. As far as I’m concerned the woodshop is open for people making armour I don’t think we would be able to make it exclusively for this so be ready for people to be woodworking at the same time

As Andy mentioned a woodshop induction would be needed to use any of the tools in the shop

Anything extra that you want to bring powertool wise would require a fairly extensive talk before it happens for health and safety

1 Like

Would be nice to find a way to support hand tools not power tools with a mini-induction or something? Just a thought, not that woodtechs need more stuff to do!

That’s a basic woodshop induction .

In theory this could be split into two and there is talk about it. Basic health and safety and hand tools takes just over 2 of the just over 4 hour induction (when I do it)
The other tools included though are fairly fundamental (jigsaw electric sander vacuum ETC)

We are putting the split on pause until we try with Video if we can get the basic queue down with moving to video it is better than adding the amount of gates before you can do a whole project by yourself.

When are you generslly in the space, Steven? I’m very aware there’s a few foibles to this in regard to outside instructors coming in etc as well, so would be good to actually be able to chat through details. I’m not going to try and push this through with explicit permission from the woodshop, even if there is enough interest from the members, as I want to make sure it can be done safely.

The split induction is 1-1.5 hours on hand tools?

But yea, I made a mistake and told Huw to ask members/techs before thinking the induction thing through @Theranis - Sorry! Anything that can be done without woodshop tools, in case we don’t find a way?

It took Ryan an hour and a half it takes me just over 2 :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I am in this evening from about 5 if all goes well. I should also be in Friday at the same time.

I am delivering an induction Monday from 6 so if you want to chat before that on monday if would be 5 PM then as well

1 Like