Can we clear out the former woodworking shop so we can place new printer

I guess we could mount the screen on the wall of the arch, and then use the shelving unit to mount the projector (will have to see if the throw distance is ok).

For the “classroom” we ideally need many smaller tables that can be pushed together in various arrangements (clusters, rows, u-shape) as well as stacking chairs (some configurations will need/accommodate more chairs than others).

Yep that shelving unit is just barely not tall enough to fit both printers on top of each other. The Ultimaker seems fairly light so it seems fine to stack them for a bit of space saving.

For the new printer area we need 2 large desks and a tall but small footprint shelf unit to fit in the corner. I’ll need to get some measurements to see what fits. Do you reckon we should buy the tables or DIY them?

@Brendon_Hatcher I don’t think we’ll need extra computers right besides the printers, just 1 seems fine because printing takes so long. Generally it takes users a few hours/days to design and model a part, then a few minutes to slice it, and a few hours to print it. The computer can be used by someone else the moment the file is on a memory stick.

However, laptops in the big table area pre-installed with Cura, PrusaSlicer and 3D CAD software would be great for the design stage. Can add KiCad and EasyEDA for electronics design as well!

Yes take action, but a members meeting is crucial to assign tasks and get things moving!

1 Like

I think second hand is a better deal… can you build a desk for £28?

https://reyooz.com/collections/latest/products/table-with-heavy-two-pillar-base

Pre-installing Cura etc is a great idea.
The machines are not admin locked, so anyone can make changes.

I am probably going to need to replace some as they fail, so I have started to document the machines so that I can build more in a consistent fashion…

Here is the Tool page: Laptops

If you would like to install stuff for 3d printing (including appropriate slicing profiles), feel free to go ahead, and then to add some notes about your installs at the bottom of the tool page.

1 Like

@3dtechs :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Wow, wow wow! I’ll set it up Tuesday when I get back to Lundun

2 Likes

Cool! Need to setup extraction too, will see what we can do on that this week!

I will be down Tuesday evening as we are dropping off the flooring. Will be happy to help set up/move stuff from the current setup.

Nice one! Give it a go!

Woohoo, SLA printer is setup and working!

Please leave the IPA alcohol and tissue paper by the printer all the time, in case it’s needed for accidental spills! (If there’s a special place for those please let me know, but there should always be some supplies by the printer.)

I asked everyone that was staying late in the shop if they were willing to sniff some resin so I could do a test print. I expect the passive ventilation to completely clear any remaining volatiles by morning. The printer and cure station covers should contain any further emissions, but give me a shout if you notice any smells. That said I cleaned up everything and I’ll wait for the fume hood until further prints. Everything in the garbage box is cured and safe to throw as general waste.

I’ll work on the induction until the fume hood is put up. Though please let me know when we do the hood so I can help :slight_smile:

9 Likes

IPA should be in Coshh cabinet.

1 Like

Where is that? I was looking for an IPA bottle I left by the FDM printers that went astray, but couldn’t find it.

Also, we should probably discuss how to handle the cure station IPA bucket. It has a sealable cap. I think it should stay in the cure station because of the resin contamination, and because there’s a process to recycle most of the IPA. And more importantly, a process to discard the dirty IPA safely, which will be covered by the printer induction.

I’ll bring another litre of IPA either today or tomorrow.

The 1 litre bottles should be living in the COSSH. A smaller quantity (<250ml) would be cool on the table next to the printer, re accidental spills etc. We should get some HDPE wide neck storage bottles though.

The two cabinets are located in the old woodshop on the floor when you come in on the left (last time I was in the space). Only temporary, because they used to be in the old snug and we’re looking for a new home for them.

1 Like

I know you can get water-washable resins - are they any good? Would they be a better bet than using IPA to wash everything?

Any thoughts on where these should go given the new layout?

Snug 1 next to the spray booth seems reasonable.

1 Like

Sounds good! Thx

Water washable resins are not environmentally friendly unfortunately, we still need to process the dirty water before disposing. I decided not to include them because there are a few more minor disadvantages. For one it’s is a worse cleaning solution; on the washer manual it specifies 15min for water and just 3 minutes for IPA bath.

The advantage of water-washable resin is that it can be used in an ultrasonic cleaner and it leaves no smell or vapor. It is very important that the residual water is not thrown in the drain because it contains resin. Water washable resin often contains raw materials that can be harmful to aquatic life. Therefore the washing method would be similar to using a resin cleaner.

Finally we can mix most resins of the same “wash type”, and that will allow us to have a bottle of arbitrarily coloured resin that everyone can use. Mixing tough resins and basic is fine and you get halfway properties for the final result.

1 Like