Can we clear out the former woodworking shop so we can place new printer

Hi,

If we clear out the rubbish from that area and move the gorilla in the other corner, we can start setting up the new printing area. This will then free up space in the big table room to move the projector and re-organize a bit.

I think the notice period for anyone picking up their projects has passed, but I’m not sure if the whole room is still required for snug renovations or whether those are going to actually go through.

Happy to help with labour, but don’t have a car to help carry trash, nor do I know where it should go :smiley:

3 Likes

When was there a deadline set? It started to be used as a members storage since December and I haven’t seen any reminder. Alternatively let’s set one again.

I thought the plan was to clear that room completely
(except gorilla) for the new layout. Or cleared and temporarily used to help snug construction.

This is not what is called the snug is it? That’s the hallway in the back, and I thought that was the storage that opened in Dec.

I am sure you’re right in one way or another that clearing that room would be nice, it all depends on when we do the snug’s roof I thought. We brushed on that last Members Meeting, I think finances were the obstacle and directors have not informed us yet about the outcome of the Fire regulations meeting that was supposed to shine some light into the progress.

1 Like

Yes, exactly. This is roughly 2 weeks since then, hence the post :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Okay I’m with you

I seem to remember the action plan was to have a meeting 2 weeks after the members meeting to discuss all of this .
@directors ???

1 Like

Hi all,:smiley: the gorilla will hopefully be done by mid march , please do not move it as it is on a free standing vertical rotation rig (many thanks )Brian D=

2 Likes

Yes, sorry been offline, will post the plan tonight…

@Calin

Yes we can! This one:

https://discourse.southlondonmakerspace.org/t/space-layout-next-steps/26080

@platinumnqueen22

Mid March is fine, but he/she may need to move around a bit as we re-organise. Also, we will not have space for it after that, so make every effort to finish it up! Thanks!

@lewisss - Given the outcome of the risk assessment, I don’t think we need to wait for another member meeting to discuss before starting to take action, it has been a long time already in limbo…

But anyone do let me know if you have anything you think of that I am missing… Thank you!

1 Like

I’ll pick up my stuff from the ol’ woodshop tomorrow.

1 Like

For the 3D printers, the current shelving unit is not fit for purpose.
I propose the unit get moved next to the electronics benches for electronics storage and bench space.
Then we either build custom desking for the 3D printers, or we buy some desks (and chairs) from Reyooz etc.

I am able to donate some laptops for dedicated 3D printer use.

1 Like

Yea I was thinking keep that unit where it is as it is custom fit… the projector screen can pull down in front or be on the front wall of the arch…

Either way, need new stuff for the new room- @3dtechs can you take a look around at what you need?

And @Brendon_Hatcher let me know what you need for the classroom …

I guess we could mount the screen on the wall of the arch, and then use the shelving unit to mount the projector (will have to see if the throw distance is ok).

For the “classroom” we ideally need many smaller tables that can be pushed together in various arrangements (clusters, rows, u-shape) as well as stacking chairs (some configurations will need/accommodate more chairs than others).

Yep that shelving unit is just barely not tall enough to fit both printers on top of each other. The Ultimaker seems fairly light so it seems fine to stack them for a bit of space saving.

For the new printer area we need 2 large desks and a tall but small footprint shelf unit to fit in the corner. I’ll need to get some measurements to see what fits. Do you reckon we should buy the tables or DIY them?

@Brendon_Hatcher I don’t think we’ll need extra computers right besides the printers, just 1 seems fine because printing takes so long. Generally it takes users a few hours/days to design and model a part, then a few minutes to slice it, and a few hours to print it. The computer can be used by someone else the moment the file is on a memory stick.

However, laptops in the big table area pre-installed with Cura, PrusaSlicer and 3D CAD software would be great for the design stage. Can add KiCad and EasyEDA for electronics design as well!

Yes take action, but a members meeting is crucial to assign tasks and get things moving!

1 Like

I think second hand is a better deal… can you build a desk for £28?

https://reyooz.com/collections/latest/products/table-with-heavy-two-pillar-base

Pre-installing Cura etc is a great idea.
The machines are not admin locked, so anyone can make changes.

I am probably going to need to replace some as they fail, so I have started to document the machines so that I can build more in a consistent fashion…

Here is the Tool page: Laptops

If you would like to install stuff for 3d printing (including appropriate slicing profiles), feel free to go ahead, and then to add some notes about your installs at the bottom of the tool page.

1 Like

@3dtechs :slight_smile:

3 Likes