Broken wood turning gouge

Hello @woodworkers

I came in today to find the lathe bench a disaster, with random things strewn all over the bench and tons of shavings everywhere;

and a broken gouge hidden behind the rest of the gouges:

Please remember to clean up the bench after you are turning to a state as good or better than how you found it.

If a tool is broken, please report it to the @woodtechs so they can see to repairing/replacing it.

Thank you,

–James.

1 Like

Upon closer inspection as I began cleaning up the lathe bench, it had been left in a terrible state.

Many tools have been left caked in shaving, and other splattered and coated in what appears to be black wood stain, with wood stain splattered on the wall, and covering the tool rest as well;

What could that have come from other than someone turning a freshly varnished piece of wood?! Resin maybe?

The tools were moderately wood-shavingy on Tuesday- but I cleaned most that I saw. Not sure how they’re now messy again.

Apologies - The gouge was me - but I already posted this in a thread earlier this week with offer to replace.

… And the faceplate is also a mess.

PLEASE clean up your tools and work area after you are done your work.

I’m now an hour in and I’m still just cleaning up after someone else rather than working on my project.

:frowning:

1 Like

I’ve removed the rust from the faceplate, stock and thread cover.

I am not able to remove the stain from the tools.

2 Likes

Oh dear :frowning:
Thank you @Mouat for letting us know and for clearing up!

@turners Care of the lathe and tools are covered in the induction. Please don’t turn anything that has wet glue or finishes on it, please ensure it has dried fully. It is fine to apply finishes to you work whilst it is mounted on the lathe but please protect the lathe by putting newspaper etc underneath. Wait for the finish to dry completely if you need to turn it again. You can use a hairdryer to speed this up.

Clearing up your wood shavings after you have finished is basic and goes for all users of the wood workshop. Not only is it considerate for the other users of the space and part of being a responsible member but it is a also a safety risk as we recently had a near miss involving slipping on wood shavings.

Please also remember that the lathe is very kindly on long term loan to the members.

Sorry @Calum_Nicoll I must have missed your post about the broken gouge. Do you know which one it is? Looks perhaps like a spindle gouge but it is hard to tell from the photo. Did one of the other @woodtechs order a new one already? If not we will get a replacement.

With an air compressor 6ft away from the lathe there’s really no excuses not to have the shavings cleared away. A few blasts and they’re all conveniently on the floor, ready to sweep up.

1 Like

This was a real shame – James (@Mouat) spent his whole time clearing, cleaning and making good this mess, and had no time for his own project. Someone out there owes him big time! Thanks James!

4 Likes

@Mouat thanks for the good work

1 Like

Except that it is not clear that the air compressor is for the use of everyone in the wood workshop, I do not think. I do not recall it featuring in my induction, at least.

Air compressor aside, there is still no reason not to clean up your work area after you have finished.

:slight_smile:

–James.

1 Like

I’ll order a replacement this week, along with a new tailstock centre. @Beth any recommendations on where to buy tools?

Good point… thanks for raising Andrew.
EDIT: @woodtechs, I have added some draft notes to the end of Wood Workshop - Induction #3 - Hand-held Power Tools - to be expanded at some point soon…

Also, off-topic, noticed that the scraps wheelie bin has knocked part of the tablesaw extraction system loose. May just need duct tape?

Yeah, air compressor might be useful. I’ve no idea how to use and it may be helpful if a person has the inclination to clean up. Brush and pan gets 98% of the cleaning done.

EDIT: DRAFT notes added to Wood Workshop - Induction #3 - Hand-held Power Tools - needs further work before including in induction.

perfect, thanks! Just read that in post above.

Oops - there are more health and safety considerations here. Moved to the “hand power tool section”, and currently only draft, as needs working through in more detail. Thanks to @joeatkin2 - one for our list…

1 Like

Sorry

Ear protection