Bog Oak

@Howard Howard, sorry for lateness of notice, I’m behind today so won’t go to MS, I will bring the bog oak in next time and hide it and we can rearrange. Thanks.

You are a master of suspense.

I have now seen how beautiful bog oak is - if you ever get any more I would absolutely love to have a piece. And I can see why it kills farm machines - it’s almost like stone. Amazing stuff.

If there’s any left after @SarahJ has had her fill, would definitely love to work with this particular wood!

Hi Sarah and Dale

yes, please do use some of the lovely stuff, I will get round to doing something with it in a decade or so! Much better for it to be reformed into something great.

It was on the shelf above the sink in kitchen, help yourself.

If you leave me an organic piece about 40mm square, divide the rest between you as you wish.

100% honestly, please do …:slight_smile:

That’s amazing! Down there tonight for a lathe induction. Will have a look for it. Do you know when it was left there?

Thanks.

last xmas! it’s about 1,200mm at widest part and 1,600mm high, organic except for bottom which is flat.

Is this it?

If so, thought it was an ornament!
Looks too cool to chop up.

1 Like

Yes I would need a specific plan before I could justify hacking a piece off that! It’s so beautiful. Good to know what it is.

Whenever you do cut it may I nab a nugget, wanting to make a keyring piece from bog Oak.

That piece is so beautiful!

that’s a good idea. would love to get a small piece too

Yes, it is a beautiful thing!

You can see a clean cut so that would be where to work new ones from.
Every clean cut gives it a base to stand on and that work’s well, it’s organic so will always look good.

Please do take some to make keyrings - fab idea - or anything else.

How about taking the right hand side piece off (turn the wood around 90deg and it has a new bottom)? That’s a decent chunk to begin with - go on go on go on … Jackie

1 Like

Okay…but need to sit and work out how to use it first. Don’t think I could justify lopping some off without a clear plan as to how to use the off-cut!

1 Like

Goodness that is a beauty! I grew up next to a peat bog but never seen wood like that!!

Hide it from the @luthiers - some very nice guitars have been made from bog wood, apparently :wink:

Same! Now I’m wondering if all the bog wood (mostly pine) I’ve burned over the years would be good for stuff like that.

Was at makerspace for a few minutes today and seen my lovely Bog Oak. Yes, I bet the best guitars sing true from the thousands of years.

Have no knowledge of what peat is but think its part of all the wood and plants around it, maybe animals too mushed together over thousands of years …?

Somehow Bog Oak is the favourite for sculpting, it’s hard and soft, that’s what my auntie told me. She gave it to me from her house in Wicklow where life is hard and lovely in varying parts.

Where she lives is high up in the mountains, just before your car gets wrecked and just after you realise you need to get a Land Rover.

The views take your breath away way beyond the climbing to get there xox

2 Likes

Anyone seen the bog oak knocking about? It’s not up on the kitchen side anymore. Wondered if someone has finally plucked up the courage to make something?

I had a look at it about week or two ago, left it on the end of the shelf above kitchen sink.

Yeah, that’s where’s i saw it last. Doesn’t appear to be knocking about anymore :cry:

Sorry guys n gals - it was me!

I took it home as I’ve cancelled my membership and nobody seemed to be doing anything with it.

Am still very happy for you to have pieces, let me know when you will next be in and I will pop down. Doesn’t have to all of you together, just give dimensions and 1 of you who’s done the Bandsaw Induction can make the cuts.

How’s that sound?

Jackie