Bog Oak

Sounds fab! The great bog oak mystery is solved!

I can bandsaw with a woodtech present in the space,…I’ll get back to you with dimensions soon, need to figure out how best to make the thing…with minimal waste.

1 Like

Sorry to hear you’re leaving jackie! Still coming to the party though right???

Ooo, will have a look at date and see, can’t believe it’s Christmas. Again!

Oh my golb, can I have some of this?! I would love a couple of 20 cm by 10 cm pieces for knife handles if that’s not too greedy?

Oh noes! You’ll be missed. Hope to see you around one way or the other.

If I recall, the whole piece is size of small dinner plate, most of which is edging and fluting with gaps in between…the solid bit in the middle is probably palm size…but that’s just from memory.

@afshind Yes, it is the size of a small palm in the middle.

The piece is 20cm long x 15cm wide (though the 1/4 bottom part is 8cm wide).
If you go back to photo of 26 Sep, this will make more sense, you will also see there is an organic hole at the side.

Sadly @RPowell Sadly there isn’t enough for even 1 handle - if you have a smaller knife you could certainly have some but just for 1 to be fair to others.

So, we’ve got 1x dimension to be edited, 1x willing bandsaw cutter and a few interested folk.

It would be lovely to get the details soon and am very happy to get it to you - perhaps before Christmas, strike whilst the iron is hot. Thanks. Jackie

Ah, that’s nice of you to say Toby, thanks.
You know where the art is when your kids get a bit older … Jackie

Ah ok, sorry, difficult to get an idea of scale in the image. Thanks.

I know, dimensions are hard to visualise at times, especially this as it’s organic. Am sure you can find a way to make a handle from it tho, that’d be so great to see.

Let’s wait till the other dimensions and maybe you could be there to make the cuts as that will make the most sense for your idea.

Have you done the Bandsaw Induction?

Hey @jackiekeane glad you got it back. Was worried it had gone walkabouts. If and when it finally gets chopped up, I’d still love a little piece, regardless of the size. Please let us know as and when it happens and I’ll endeavour to be around. Thanks again.

Hey Jackie,

My plan is to make some cabinet handles out of a finger size pieces, getting 2-3 holds cylindrical handles out of each finger length, dont have a specific dimension in mm in size, can work with whats available. It be great to also turn half a finger into a keyring.

I’d be happy to band saw bits for other folks.

Jackie, is there anything you’d like from the bog oak? We can make it for you.