Big CNC TO-DO List(was: Hackathon - Friday Night)

really clever idea! lol… love the “material hold down” :smiley: :smiley:

1 Like

What’s your plan with the fabric? Pattern looks like it might be some kind of reinforcing/quilting :thinking:

1 Like

Yes :grinning: I am prototyping a weighted blanket. Is as asked by someone if I could make one. They tend to be very expensive and quite thick which can make you really hot. The filling also tends to move around and becomes uneven.

So the idea is to use a thin cotton fabric and make a relatively fine grid (50x50mm in this case). I looked at the size that would be best and 50x50mm seemed like a good measurement. I am sewing channels down the length first that will get filled with an even amount of filling and then I see across to close the pockets and fill the next row and so on.

I am using micro glass beads that are round and about 0.6-0.8mm in diameter.

I should have checked beforehand because I have 28 channels to sew and 1008 pockets to fill and sew shut :woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming: …hmmm I might have to rethink this! :joy:

3 Likes

Why not just drill them with CNC? If I understand correctly they’re about 9mm holes (m6 insert?) so should be fast. And it’s repeatable. And easy to keep a drill bit just for this purpose.

Yeah that is the plan! We have some new mills on order to do it…

edit - read too fast - Milling is the plan…

Drill bits need to go slower - the slowest the spindle goes is 7500 RPM… the drill bit gets super hot at this speed…

Will be working on more CNC stuff tonight if anyone else wants to join!

https://discourse.southlondonmakerspace.org/t/23-59-more-big-cnc/22002

1 Like

Incredibly fantastic event, would you ever be doing something like it in daylight hours?

1 Like

Possibly! After the long weekend…

Ah that’s a pity, no way to reduce spindle speed further?

7k rpm is high for 9mm and will make plenty heat, but some thoughts - did you try high feed rate which would reduce heat? Also peck drilling. Just thinking some ideas as it sounds like an awkward issue!

Yea, we have been testing out faster feed rates, should be close to finalising that, might be worth testing drilling after that…

1 Like

Ok! Good progress tonight!

Spoil board has holes! Need to drill them through fully, and mount the nuts in the back, but getting close!

Drilling is not great because the spindle is too fast, but it worked well enough and is easily repeated when we need to change out the top spoil board…

3 Likes

Another Big CNC Hackathon tomorrow night - 10pm! Continuing on the above list of TODOs…

https://discourse.southlondonmakerspace.org/t/23-59-big-cnc-hackathon-ii/22132

@Amit_Kohli, @nickritchie, @clem

Anyone is welcome to join if they can!!

What exactly do you need volunteers to do on this event? It looks it’s a semi regular event, should that be somehow announced?

I find this interesting, but does it always have to be in a middle of night?

Heya! TODO list is here:

We need help with all of it…

No, but unfortunately with my kids, if I bring them it is hard to get stuff like this done, so for me personally it is best to wait until they are in bed! But, I do want more people to be able to get involved, I doubt we will finish all these tasks tomorrow, so will try to make the next one earlier!

1 Like

bring them to the Space and I can do some stuff with them :slightly_smiling_face: German

1 Like

Hey @petra! I will be in earlier with the kids tonight around 6pm if anyone wants to get involved with Big CNC we can start earlier!

1 Like

I might very well do! Thanks :+1:

1 Like

I’m here, but you’re not.
Will be leaving in twenty.

Progress report:

Holes go all the way through! And the hold down nuts are going in!

Jog wheel pendant now works:

3 Likes

Hey @Jonathan - got any CNC hold downs we can try!? We are ready for 'em! Thanks!!