Big CNC progress!

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa49b4e7040>

Hey Makers!

Some good progress on the Big CNC!

New dust shoe is installed:

@Ryanf please tell us where to route the hose to get to the woodshop dust extraction, if that is finalised- thanks!

Working on final hardwiring:

Note: there is NO ‘waiting list’ for Big CNC inductions, once you are proficient on the Desktop CNC, message @CNCtechs to arrange an induction. The concepts are the same, the software is the same, the risk assessment and some of the physical controls are slightly different, so the induction will familiarise you with the larger machine and how to safely operate it.

10 Likes

Thank you for the ongoing focus on getting this area off the ground since last year, shows a great portion of productive commitment with clear results as one part of the Andy-Kyle power duo midnight adventures to make makerspace an easier place to navigate, what a treat. Thanks to you both for the energy that inspires as well keeps the fire aflame. Makerspaces best off!

4 Likes

Looks great.

Not sure on the extraction yet, the main extractor we’re going to be using has a max runtime of 2 hours before it needs to be turned off and left to cool (Charnwood W692). I’m not sure what the current woodshop extractor’s runtime is, but if it’s light trade, it’s also only meant to run for short spells.

I know most cuts on the large CNC might not exceed 2 hours, but given the size, I feel that longer jobs will definitely be in the pipeline. I haven’t looked into what sort of extraction is required on a large scale CNC. Maybe it’s worth going around the corner and seeing what the furniture guys are doing?

It’s a continuous routing and chips buildup, I’d thought same style of extraction as for a handheld router should be on when cutting. Possibly a separate one from the general woodshop extraction?

Looking good, already making plans for future projects when the time comes…!

1 Like

Not sure if sharing extractions is a good idea because it will not be possible to switch on woodshop extract with a cnc induction.

And it will be conected to the woodshop Estop system.

Also the cnc will often be run for long periods of time thus effectively putting a lot of tools out of service.
I would suggest a better strategy would be to have your own extraction for the CNC inside the CNC enclosure

PS bottom middle spur box is not lighting.

Labelling is good wrong labelling is less than good

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

I could swear you said it was! The white wires coming out are for the lights no? Either way its a work in progress - will sort it…

3 Likes

Great job my peeps! Wonderful wonderful wonderful!!

On extraction… should we just move Mr. Henry over to the big one? It’s really not accomplishing much in the little one, except slightly reducing the dust when one opens the enclosure.

1 Like

Thanks Amit!

Henry is going to be a but undersized for the big one! We DO need to print a dust shoe or at least diverter to get the hoovering in the right place on the mini… If anyone wants a little project! Something like this possibly?:

Cheers,
Andy

1 Like