Best way to cut rough round shape in 10cm green oak - and any wood techs around Monday night/Tuesday daytime if it involves a bandsaw?

Have got 5 pieces of green oak about 10cm thick, and want to cut circle ish shapes (between 20 and 30cm diametre) out of them - what’s the best way to do this?

So far have thought a jigsaw on a basic jig might work (possibly with a pass on each side) and can improvise this at home - but also wondering if may be neater/faster/better to do it on bandsaw?

Thoughts? And would any @woodtechs be around Monday night (can be there at 9.40pm onwards) or Tuesday (ideally daytime) to help if bandsaw the way forward?

Many thanks! Calum

Edit - circles for turning - so no need to be perfectly round.

Jig used on this video…I’d up for helping you make one as have logs similar size to yours that I want to turn into blanks for turning…

Depending on the way the grane is running.

The bandsaw will do it but we don’t have a blade with a really big set on it

Bow saw would be good I think that I mIghtfield have one

Something like this?

2 Likes

There’s a bow saw in the space somewhere, it’s mine and the space is welcome to it

2 Likes

The grain runs across - so the blanks were not cut as crosscurs- hopefully pic makes grain direction clearer - a couple have been octagonated with a chainsaw but would be great to make them rounder- would the bandsaw teeth be too fine pitch to make a go of it?

Cheers

I don’t think that we have a blade but they are cheap

Can we get one/what exactly do we need? Seems like it would be handy for a lot of stuff. Cheers!

When budget we have a bit of budget going begging

Will have a look when I am next in

What would it cost to buy one/they hard to change on/off? I am keen to get turning and super keen to avoid lots of handsawing blanks. If they are less than 20 quid or so and you tell me what to look for I’ll buy one and loan to space.

You could stick that on the lathe and turn it round

2 Likes

Quick to change about 15 quid I think

Would this one do?

https://www.justbandsawblades.co.uk/product/1120-0611/112-2845mm-x-38-x-025-Hakansson-Silco/

In 3tpi setting (not sure whether to get alternate or normal set teeth).

As long as it’s the right size.
3 tpi that is shod fo it

Will look up the size next time I am in

1 Like

You are going to have to ask mark how to set it up as he has put new guides on

Aye I did one from approx octogon but roughing it was very bumpy going and took about the same time as turning the rest of the bowl. And I’ve got a fair few to turn so would be grand to save time.

Excellent - I searched the startrite 352 and everything suggested 112" bands were fine but would be great if you check next time and let me know and I will get one ordered.

@lewisss is there anything changed with band selection/changing because of the new guides?

Cheers

1 Like

If you have checked it it should be fine.

I think that it’s just setting up the clerance of the blade in the guidees that has changed.

Whenever you fellas plan to fit the new saw could you let me know please? Be great to learn how it’s done.