Bee visitor centre @ Mayow Park

Using skill picked up on construction at South London Makerspace I’ve been doing some work on one one of the sheds at Mayow Park Community Garden.

We’re trying to turn it into a visitor centre to pass on knowledge about bee keeping.

It was really great working on construction and picking up so many skills. So a massive thank you to @joeatkin2, @stefanoromano, @Dermot, @peter_hellyer and all the other people that past on a massive amount of knowledge and had a lot of patience with someone who’s enthusiasm often outweighed there skill level.

Cheers!!!

Big thank you!!

More pics to come as it gets done…

3 Likes

3 Likes

Nice work, look forward to more honey, place doesn’t look the same without it…

1 Like

Also notice that you’ve built a couple of new beds for planting. love it. Spring bulbs? There’s nothing like daffodils for a boost.

Put the sky lights in…

2 Likes

do you mean the boxes out side the space in the garden?
they where going to be used “as something else” but could be used for planters if we want. go for it. just need some compost! and plants.
actually the garden is looking pretty crap at the moment. i was thinking we could do with some nice hardy perennials to beef up the greenery in the winter months. any one have any cuttings we could plant?

Yes! There’s compost in the long one. And a spade type thingy. Looked to me like a planter! Maybe it was always there and I didn’t notice … Quite possible.

There’s 2 long tall square ones without compost, they look like ‘something else’. Cool.

The garden always looks good. Yep, hardy perennials is a good idea.
Can herbs grow in the winter? I’m addicted to Thyme and Rosemary.
Is it too late to plant spring bulbs?

I have no plants because of ants! Not anymore thankfully but you have to keep them at bay. Annoying as I’ve always had lots of plants and herbs growing.

nice one!
yes the tall square ones can be used as planters or chucked or reused.
whatever your makermind can come up with.

yeah a lot of herbs are perrenial. and add some greenery throughout winter.

many bulbs are still good to plant.
just have a google :slight_smile:
there are some bulbs in there already thanks to a donation.
but theres always room for more.

let me know if you have or want to plant anything.
just need members to donate some stuff…

Daffodils, snowdrops, bluebells, tall orange one I don’t know the name of, olive tree, lavender, rosemary, thyme, :smile:

I’ll get some daffs to donate, perhaps a Callout to other members will bring other donations, or the directors could spend a small amount of money …

Cool.
There are some bulbs in already.
Plus your daffs.
Plus I can add a few snow drops I’ve got knocking about.
Should leave us sorted for bulbs.

That leaves us short on hardys. Some more established greenery and maybe something that flowers in winter.

Yes to lavender. Yes to more established herbs.

I’ll see what I can do for some herbs and hardy green stuff :slight_smile: I’ll update when I’ve found out what I can offer!

2 Likes

Great stuff!

Didn’t get the bulbs on sunday cus I didn’t go to the market but somewhere this week I will find a few daft bulbs :slight_smile:

Not many daff bulbs around right now. Should be cheap though if you find them. Make sure to check that they’re firm: they shouldn’t yield much when you squeeze them. A few soft ones here and there is expected: don’t waste time even planting those ones.

Daffs planted now will likely flower in the spring and due, rather than naturalise.

I still have a few tulips, but I think we’re fine for tulips from the first planting.

Cool, thanks, good tips that I didn’t know. Didn’t find any on Sunday and haven’t looked since.

Think I saw some in the £1 shop, any good, what do you think?

I’ve got a lot of wild flower seeds.
I need to check when to put them in and then put those in…