Basic 3D Sketchup workshop offered for 3D modelling/printing and maybe 2D/laser cutting?

IIRC, the educational Inventor license requires an actual educational establishment, otherwise it’s £x,xxx

Completely free, open source, cross platform and no internet required https://www.freecadweb.org/

I went through those 12 lessons and it give you a good starting point. My advice is do each lessons twice to make sure you get it and practice on the side with any idea or project that will use what you learn.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

That video is really nice! At first sight look much more intuitive than Solidworks

This got me started with fusion 360
This is video 1 of 4 I think

Really helps if you have 2 screens or fusion on the computer and video on iPad

2 Likes

Gotta love Lars!
I’m fusion 360 all the way, have in the past been a super user of sketchup, microstation and a few others and am so glad I jumped into fusion. The main real competitors for it are inventor and solidworks but fusion is improving almost every week…

Could SLM become an ‘actual educational establishment’?

I’ve previously had a quick play a few freebies including Freecad and as you’ve said, it’s not so easy to get started. Perhaps these videos will help.

I agree that Fusion is probably the best option if you don’t mind being tied to a cloud.

Personally I don’t trust corporations (technically psychopaths) any more than I have to.
I’m sure I agreed to it somewhere in the obligatory license agreement but Autodesk (and others) install multiple components which constantly try to access the internet.

Finally installed Inventor. What a fight!

It initially appears to insist on 12gb free space on the Windows drive.
But just clicking ‘0K’ then allows you to change install location and remove additional components.
This brings it down to a more acceptable 2.7gb on the Windows drive and 3.5gb which can go elsewhere.

It likes a fairly clean Windows install and even then it can fail at DotNET4.7.1 install.

Luckily there’s an easy fix which involves downloading and installing a tiny MS root security certificate.

Then the tutorials don’t work properly. Hopefully installing Google Chrome browser will fix it

I would certainly be interested in this. Preferred times are any daytime but understand that might not be the preference of most…

Unfortunately not. Education with a capital E is not something for amateurs!

Great. So that’s 1 for evenings, 1 for daytime. Once we reach the magic number of 3, I’ll check dates with you. Probably via Doodlepoll, unless there’s a similar feature on Discourse?

You can make a poll. Click the gear wheel while writing your post. No editing, so get it right first time!

Most mainstream edukayshun I’ve seen and experienced is merely mind-programming cogs for the system. Better schools, bigger cogs. But cogs none the less.

Almost everything and everyone is totally brainwashed into the money (mon-eye) religious cult enforced by the legal magic show spelled in words

Thanks for the heads up. Can I just make a new one if it goes wrong?

Yep

Okay (?)
Regardless, being an official educational establishment would require us to offer far more structured and universal courses, open to the public.

Well they appear to have given me a 3 year license without me providing any details or proof of an ‘actual educational establishment’.

1 Like

Always worth a try!

This sounds great! I would be interested in attending a workshop. I would find it useful as a potential way of producing jigs for joinery and woodwork products. Evenings and Saturdays are good for me.

I’m glad we’ve reached the magic number of 3.
@cocciadferro can you do one evening?

@a.cooke I’m also fascinated by jigs so we can chat about those too! Perhaps create a workshop?

I think we’ll stick with Sketchup for the first workshop, unless or until I get my head around Inventor. At least it’s a fast, free way to get into 3D modelling with relatively low hardware demands.