Basic 3D Sketchup workshop offered for 3D modelling/printing and maybe 2D/laser cutting?

This would be useful to those new to 3D modelling or printing.

It will teach you the basics of Sketchup and help you create a 3D model for printing.

https://www.sketchup.com

The 2017 standard version is free or you can use 2018 Pro version free for 30 days :wink:

Mac:
https://www.sketchup.com/sketchup/2017/en/sketchupmake-2017-3-116-90851-en-dmg
Windows:
https://www.sketchup.com/sketchup/2017/en/sketchupmake-2017-2-2555-90782-en-x64-exe

Dates: TBC (depending on interest and other bookings)

Duration:
30mins to 1 hour (depending on experience)

Requirements:
Your own laptop would be useful although there’s a free web version which should work on most devices
An idea, sketch or drawing of something you’d like to create. With as many dimension measurements as possible.

Signup to workshop:
Just reply to this thread with preferred dates/times
(until I can add an attendance list like inductions. Is that possible?)

Suggested £5 donation to SLMakerSpace or whatever you can afford

That’s awesome great initiative!

I hope it’s ok for me to raise up this little warning. Sketchup is particularly bad for generating 3d Model for 3D printing if you don’t consider the pitfall. This article kind of cover most of the one I’ve encountered in the past hopefully new version and stl generation plugins have improved.

https://i.materialise.com/blog/3d-printing-with-sketchup/

Hopefully that would help narrow down troubleshooting in case you meet problem when slicing. Most importantly always check the layer preview in Cura as the auto repair can play havoc when loading broken model.

Have fun!

Thanks for the swift and constructive advice.

Hopefully I’ve avoided these pitfalls by creating solid/watertight models?

I’ll certainly check the Cura layer preview as you suggest.

I still think it’s amazing software given that a relative novice can fairly easily and swiftly create fairly decent 3D models.

And I’m sure you can get even faster with some of the more advanced tools, layering and copy/pasting/saving the various components as you build them.

I do have one issue where I can’t yet completely bevel a corner without ‘breaking’ the ‘solidity’ of the model?

I’ve got a couple of prototypes to test print but I want to remodel them again before printing.

What ‘free/trial’ software would you recommend for ‘easy’ offline 3D modelling?

I quite liked TinkerCAD for it’s sheer simplicity but it’s online only.

Fusion360 is very powerful but still relatively friendly. Free for non-profit use.

1 Like

Thanks I’ll give it a go shortly.

I discover recently that Fusion 360 is even friendlier as you can use it for commercial purpose on the free licence as long as you make under $100 000 a year on the profit.
https://www.autodesk.com/company/legal-notices-trademarks/terms-of-service-autodesk360-web-services/autodesk-web-services-entitlements?_ga=2.100892673.148381680.1524836203-1160101780.1523624026

This show you the steps to get free fusion 360 as I’ve always found it tricky

I’ve used onshape for a long time until they’ve changed the Terms and condition major restriction is that on the free version you can’t have private document :frowning: but onshape is surely amazing

Tinkercad is amazing and the new version as a better parameterize support and improve filet and chamfer but the main draw back after using it for years is the poor history trail visualization meaning it become a bit like playing chess

Vectary is pretty good too especially if you need to design more organic shape

FreeCad is awseome but hard to learn. The workflow is really different from other cad principle I’ve found

I’d definitely be interested! Any night during the week would be my ideal time

Great. You’re first on the list.
I’ll suggest some dates/times when it reaches 3-4

That’s quite a progressive licensing policy?

It seems huge though
2.5gb before install?!

I haven’t managed to download it yet.
Ran out of space on Windows drive, which is where it insists on downloading to.

Sketchup is only 150mb

Highly recommend the switch to fusion.

I started with sketchup but changed to fusion and it’s so so so much better - wish I’d gone straight to it. Things like parametric modelling are brilliant - build your model from 3mm sheet, but want to change it to 5mm after? Easy.

Yep I agree the download is huge. But worth IMHO.

Like Calum I started with tinkercad but wishes I jumped on a proper parametric cad software instead much sooner. One of the things that I couldn’t live without now is variable and equations driven sketch and features

I appreciate the knowledgeable advice. I’ve only invested a few hours in Sketchup.

Hopefully that will help me get started with Fusion, which I’ll definitely install at some point today.

Robert current download status

1 Like

this video is what taught me the basics of fusion - and introduced parametric modelling - just followed it along. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHrP1MunhFw

3 Likes

Thanks dude.

I’ve downloaded it but it still requires an internet connection. I’d really rather not. I find it unsettling to not be able to edit my work without an internet connection.

Fusion360 requires an internet connection to start and then every 2 weeks.

I’m downloading Inventor Pro 30 day trial (12gb!!!)
There’s also an educational product available

I’ve used SketchUp a lot over the years…but won’t go near it nowadays for 3d printing…just too painful

Has Fusion moved browser based nowadays? They mentioned it last year. That’s annoying

Also some rumblings about AutoCAD being less generous with licenses recently

However: it’s still Fusion 360 all the way with me

@Jonathan will give an authoritative appraisal

No, and it would make my eyes and ears bleed if it did.

It was definitely the plan…so you can ‘use it from your iPad’

Fusion is not browser-based but ‘cloud-based’ and ‘requires’ an internet connection to install and then at least every 2 weeks.

I’m going to try Autodesk Inventor before I submit to Fusion’s demands

1 Like

There’s an Android and Ipone version of Fusion