Basic 3D Sketchup workshop offered for 3D modelling/printing and maybe 2D/laser cutting?

By the sounds of it, I think it will have to be a Wednesday evening if @iNerdier @JamesHW @a.cooke and yourself can make it?

Thanks @cocciadferro for attending my first makerspace workshop. You’re a wonderful student.

Everyone else,
Let me know who can attend next Wednesday evening 9th May at 7pm?

Thanks for a responsive and enlightening workshop, and your patience!

I’ve been taught by masters :wink: who’d try the patience of a saint

I don’t know if you heard but SLM can’t take any more donations :rofl: because of the vat threshold. Talk about victim of it’s own success.

Perhaps we could have a separate pot for SLM2?

Just need a space that would cost us less than about £5000/month (250 members paying £20).

Assuming someone here has experience of leasing industrial/community space?

It could even be a yard and we could build it from scratch?

Maybe shipping containers? Various places use them for business/office/community spaces. There’s several in and around London.

I’ve probably got enough stuff to get it started (tools, etc)

I’ll start a new thread soon

I think a waiting list was decided against for various reasons.
But if there was an ‘seriously interested’ list then we could just wait for the magic number that could pay for another space?

I guess we could crowd/cloud fund it with pledges or however they do it?

I remember seeing (£/$?)50k reached for finding Nessie (loch Ness monster)

And 1000s for various other products/projects that basically already exist or are vastly overpriced.

There’s a specific mailing list for this already linked on the page would be members are directed to

And, yes, we’re always on the lookout for available spaces to expand into, and business ideas around this

1 Like

Voluntary donations are VAT exempt :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Also we normally direct workshop and induction donations to the individual not the organisation.

Up to the inductor

Edit: and mostly members don’t charge for inductions/workshops. But the option is there

I received a donation for my workshop and I’d like to pass it on to SLM. What’s the best method?

What are the barriers?
Ie. Financial, available/suitable spaces, etc?

I’ve had some training which would help achieve this.

The main components being:
strong positive vision,
suitable structure
and focus

The vision is fairly easy because it already exists.

The structure would need to be specific to setup and would give us the next obvious steps to focus on.

One of my visions is a global network of reuse/upcycling centres. I feel this could be compatible with the makerspace model/ethos?

Basically a yard and warehouse for:
storing, repairing, upcycling, training, making, growing, selling, hosting courses and events, etc.

Hosting permaculture and other courses would be useful and lucrative.

Have you been to remakery in Loughborough junction?

1 Like

No. Are they doing it already?

I’ll get down there and take a look. It’s incredible what’s going on under the mainstream radar

Sadly I’m away this week so I’ll have to make it to a future one.

Hello Robert. I can make it that date perfectly !! would be more than pleased if it is still available.
Thank you so much

Please see