3D printer donation?

Hi there,

I’ve got several 3D printers at work (it’s my company) but we don’t really use them at all for anything anymore (were purchased for a project that was completed a while back). So they are mostly just sitting gathering dust, which makes me a little bit sad!

Would be happy to donate them to the space, if that’s of interest or useful at all (I’m not sure how “busy” the existing 3D printers are with people using them or if there’s space etc)

The full list is as follows:

• Prusa i3 MK3 (including an intel nuc style machine to run it)
  • Prusa Multi Material Upgrade Kit
  • Prusa SL1 3D printer (SLA)
  • Prusa Curing and Washing Machine
  • Prusa SL1 SPEED Upgrade Kit
  • Creality Ender 3 (with various upgrades including a camera and raspberry pi control)
  • Anycubic Photon Original SLA printer
  • quite a large amount of filament and resin mostly stored in moisture resistant boxes or completely factory sealed (various brands)
  • probably other bits and pieces I’ve forgotten and will find when getting out of warehouse

I’d be genuinely happy to give this all (or just some bits) to the makerspace free of charge because we haven’t used them for a couple years, and it would free up some space in our warehouse. Guess this is mainly a question for @3dtechs but being new here I wasn’t entirely sure where to post this. Feel free to move the post to somewhere more appropriate if necessary!

Thanks

9 Likes

Omg!.
Can I have dibs if the space doesn’t want or need any.
My 3D printing dreams died during the Corona virus period and never recovered.
I’ve volunteered to help at my local community art studio(pepys estate) mainly to fix up and get the sole unloved DIY 3d printer working however it unfortunately seems more and more like a pipe dream.
Any one of those fdm or sls printers would blow the existing diy Frankenstein printer out of this planet (let alone the water)

TL:DR
pepys estate community centre would greatly appreciate whatever 3d printers and consumables the slm would not need!!

Thank you for your kindness regardless of the outcome, that’s such awesome kit to donate!

Amazing Aaron!

Thank you so much, I will talk to the @3dtechs about what they think we can use, but sounds like a lot of great stuff! I am sure we can give it a good home!

Cheers,
Andy

More than happy to help construct some tiered shelf/desk arrangement for more printers as necessary!

3 Likes

hi Aaron,

That would be really generous thank you! We may be able to find homes for them or may sell them on to raise funds for other machines.

If have any further updates to the inventory please let us know. I’m hoping to get all the 3D techs together so we can review how everything is going since the move.

Are you able to transport them to the space all ok?

Thanks

Sam

Surely donating what you have surplus off to a community center that doesn’t even have a properly working single printer would be preferable to selling them off?
@shawaj @asander1 @3dtechs

We do also have one or maybe two 3d scanners somewhere. I don’t know exactly where they are or even the brands but if I can find them…

EDIT: this is one of them - the matter and form v1 scanner… https://matterandform.net/scanner

The other one I’m not sure we still have :thinking:

And yes can transport them fine. Probably next week or the week after as I currently have no car but should have a new one in the next week :ok_hand:

I’m easy either way to be honest. Would definitely be preferable to give them a good home where they get lots of use though, IMO!

It seems sacrilegious to have them sat here doing nothing :joy:

Yes the 3d scanner would be a great addition. Ah yes that’s great. Bring them to the space and we can triage from there.

2 Likes

Cool. I’ll bring it all on the 10th maybe as I’ll be coming for the open evening anyway.

And then can rope in some other members to help me unload the car :wink:

1 Like

Surely this could have been phrased more kindly?

Not my call in the slightest but I’d support donating something to a community centre. When the space sells things we don’t need anymore, the items are accurately described and promptly shipped, and usually sell for a v. reasonable price, which is exactly what one wants as a buyer, so it’s not like the space is taking advantage of anyone. Also, afaik, 100% of the proceeds go towards funding the space and activities that members are paying for.

@directors, without wanting to create more paperwork, do we have a policy in place for these requests?

Yes, anything we sell goes directly back into funding the Space.

We don’t have a formal process for donating things to others, but we certainly have in the past to other hack / makerspaces as that is also how we have acquired things in the past, but basically it is a case by case basis with a request to Directors.

3 Likes

I’m easy either way. The main thing I don’t want is them just sat here gathering dust… Both because it makes me feel sad and, completely selfishly, to free up space in our warehouse.

Either option is a win win… And again, completely selfishly, if they are sold and the money goes to SLMS that directly benefits me with new gear now I’m a member. And if donated to another community I get the good feels. So as I said, I’m easy either way :joy:

1 Like

@hernehillier @scday94 I think your right, I struggle abit with writing and it wasn’t my intention to be unkind or negative.
I was excited and probably should of put more thought in how my message would come across.
I’m Sorry.

5 Likes

Can we keep the mk3 and retire the ultimaker?
I have some upgrades for it (mainly a revo extruter) and at least we have an opensource printer?

3 Likes

yes good idea the mk3 is a workhorse

1 Like

Completely understand. No hard feelings here :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

1 Like

After watching the Prusa factory tour by strange parts, this post sounds like a dream! Would love to play around with these!

I had a mk2.5s and now a mk4 (from a kit), they might not be fast like the bambulab but I like the flexibility and the ease or repair, also, they are great learning tools as you can modify them as you please,it become your printer :slight_smile:

3dtechs are meeting this weekend. But it think the plan would be to hold onto the Prusa and possibly the creality as we can klipper it pretty easily.

2 Likes