Phase 1 Lighting

@peter_hellyer @joeatkin2 @Courty

How about we convert electronics night to electrical night this week and try and get those strip lights up?

We know what to order, I am sure @tomnewsom could arrange it for Thursday, 4 lights, some switching and hooking it up or at least starting to?

We had a chat about this Saturday. I think rather than fight to find a way to put Jose big lights up in the main room. We should move on a put up low led in racks across th room.
Looks like kings haven’t moved forward as every time I tak to someone about putting them up. We do not know how to affix them.

Following on from suggestions in the Barriers to Involvement in Makerspace - Week 1 thread it was noted that the Phase 1 Lighting is very gloomy.

Can we set next weekend as a day to put these lights up as the first step to getting them working?

All that is needed to get them up is the roll of catenary wire where ever that is, some crimps and crimper, and ceiling hooks, the wiring can be done at a later stage.

cc/ @conomara

@joeatkin2 had an idea, but basically fixing them to the batons that are already there was an option.

@pip already oversaw the fixing of the ducting through the lining and that’s much heavier.

There has to be a way to fit 8 hooks up on the ceiling and hand the fittings from catenary wire.

Sure. It I though we broke the rules to affix the ducting and this would be more of the same? Else I’ll help do it Wednesday and Thursday day if someone supplied fixings

just do it in the same way the ducting went up? 8 bits of strutting from the ceiling and it’s done.

Alt, hooks, straight into the batons on the ceiling. These guys weigh absolutely nothing.

Ok. And wires twisted down the chain and run back to the wall at the door to be wired in. Order the bits. I’ll do this this week

Yeah, this is way overdue. Give me a shopping list and I’ll order what’s needed

Yes, although the M10 rod might be a bit ridged, wire means it can be bashed and not break.

@tomnewsom I will put together the electrical list with @courty on Thursday if he is up for it, but as for fixing I don’t know.

http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/ceiling-hooks---6-x-100mm-092646 * 4

and a pile of these: http://www.screwfix.com/p/wire-rope-accessories-grey-4mm-x-8-pack/30192

There’s loads of caternary wire in the space somewhere.

Exactly this, however I think the wire we have is more like 0.75-1.5mm

Happy to have a natter about the lighting installation. @joeatkin2 and I had a chat previously and have agreed the electrical approach, the hardest bit is defo the physical installation…
One thing to think about and I’m not sure if it should/could be done at the same time is we need to run round trunking at 90deg to the fittings on the ceiling to pick up the feed cables. From the trunking to the fitting we were thinking of using the 3 core armoured flex or, if we don’t have enough, use standard 3 core flex

I’m still 50/50 for this Thursday as I’m traveling with work but will let you know if/when I’ll be there…

Courty

Joe suggested we just run flexible armoured onto the ducting, rather than having plastic pipes going every where.

1 Like

We can discuss Thurs. Not sure I would be happy with cables flapping about up there. Need to look at the best was to secure them…
Don’t let this call stall the installation though. Get them up and we can wire in retrospect…

Courty

Agreed, but in reality this needs the support of the members with practical skills to help.

1 Like

Yeah, that would be a fun and experimental approach, but we’ve bought the lights already.

Is there any way we can put a creative spin on these big lights we have? They’re a bit ugly and not quite up to the rest of the room, IMHO. But we’re a creative bunch!

Mod them in some way?

we will need some lights for whatever we do in snug at some point as well??

Let’s cross that bridge when we come to it. For now, we have these lights and we have a space we need to light. Get 'em up, I say!

1 Like

Right, I help in the space during the weekday at the moment not the evening/weekend too often. I’ll make a crack at it Thursday.

appreciate the layout diagram.