Phase 1 Lighting

only MOD I see coming is the globes can be replaced with LED ones in the future?

So to save a whole debate load of bike shedding as this has been going on for 2 years now, there was a lot of conversation about lighting in Makerspace…

The reason for choosing LED would be to be energy efficient, however the waste energy is heat which is a benefit to us anyway, so buying expensive LED lights that aren’t as bright was deemed a waste of money.

We have these tubes, the agreed action when bought was for there to be 4 hung, as it’s been 2 years of bike shedding about what we should, could or might do that would be better and it has never happened, and even now we spent the money we’ve not managed to get them up in 4 months.

For whatever reason, no one is to blame this has been left and left and left, so lets just put them up and then Paul can plumb them in however we do that elegantly and they’re done and someone can come along and do something better when they actually do it but right now it’s been a very long time coming to get some light and enough people have asked over the years we should just do it.

1 Like

Think you miss understood, my comment was a reply to Dermot of mods to the existing big fluro lights that I’m planning to put up thursday. And this is the mod I was thinking,
http://www.ledkia.com/uk/buy-led-tubes-t8/1355-1500mm-5ft-24w-t8-led-tube-with-one-side-power.html?gclid=COyKidLbqNACFdXNGwod958A2w

If fluro makes heat, then ah, good reason to keep them, I’ll move on

And I was just suggesting we find a way of improving the look of them to fit better in the clean room design.

1 Like

I didn’t mean to reply to just you, this was just a general post about the whole thing.

I actually don’t think they will look that bad, they’re not sexy but they aren’t as ugly as those without the filters on them.

Agree with the idea of having a play with the fitting etc but lets do it later.
There are a whole bunch of considerations and its not just a case of changing the bulbs. I believe a couple of the fitting have emergency packs in them, the LED retro fit T8’s wont work with these and also decent LED retro fits cost a lot more for not much more light and/or not much of an energy saving. the modern tri-phosphor lights are pretty efficient.

Idea for the fittings ? - we could make a pelmet for the fittings that allows us to change the look and feel, perspex or light wood ? hang a defuser sheet under them to spread the light, use stage gels to change the colour (warm it up or cool it down, not just primary colours) - everything is possible, lets just get them up and running first :wink:

Courty

2 Likes

I think this is a practical way forward: get them up while at the same time considering how they might be adapted in future.

2 Likes

II’ve made an executive decision. The lights are going up a tiny bit more to the left (walkway) than the layout diagram suggests as the curve of the roof makes it weird and the electronics benches can run lamps easier. We’re talking 30-50cm here

The layout was not to scale, frankly those lamps are probably 1-3 ft longer in the drawing than reality, as long as it looks good and serves the area with light it should be fine!

Think I found the wire. Stainless steel 1.5mm?

1 Like

Yes, you’ll need the crimps and a crimper too, also don’t forget to use heat shrink over the scragy ends

Crimps I’m about to buy at screwfix. Crimper. Hmm to find. Shrink wrap. Sheesh. Ok I’ll look :slight_smile:

We have a Gripple tool in the snug. But not sure about Gripples…saw a couple. Very useful, but not if you don’t have them

There was one a while ago, but then I have a vague memory of someone showing it to me saying it was broken.

The tool?

yep. I’m afraid I can offer no more clarity than that, it was a while ago, and dementia has hit me early.

Now I think of it: the tool is for straining the wires, for hanging lights it’s not needed. Screwfix will have something suitable. The ones with little nuts on are useful in situations where you need to make minor adjustments before final fix.

Can someone please order two of these
http://www.thornlighting.com/en/products/indoor-lighting/industrial-lighting/AquaForce_II/aquaforce-ii-accessories/96503167

So I can correctly install the lights as a suspension.

Everyone relax on the tool I used a good hammer and brute force