Offered: Spindle Moulder and Morticing machine

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa492f09d38>

Hi All,

Christmas came early to makerspace today as @joeatkin2 went to visit the chap in Ashstead that has donated a bunch of tools to us, and picked out some great kit ( https://discourse.southlondonmakerspace.org/t/loads-of-tools-offered-to-us/ ) this is going to start making our woodwork space really good.

Whist there, the guy offered to sell us his Spindle Moulder and Morticer. These are two really good tools that will really begin to push the boundaries of what we can do and offer in terms of woodwork tools. They also, possibly more importantly come with a LOT of blades, tools and fittings which will allow us to do a lot of really good and interesting work.

Joe will confirm the models and get photos etc in the next couple of weeks, but if we put together a pledge drive for these tools, we need to find about £600. Joe will put in £100 to get the ball rolling, and I’m prepared to put some cash in too. If the trustees are happy, maybe a general wiki pledge might be a good thing?

Merry Christmas to everyone,

EDIT: Pledges moved here from mid-thread so it’s easier to find - TN

Total: £600/ £600

Edit the post with your name and amount.

My immediate thought is that space will be very tight. I think we might be better off with a multiple-use stationary tool eg. a bestcombi 3.0, which is table saw, thicknesses and spindle moulder all in one. They’re £2k+ but we can allocate some GLA funding.

The morticer is smaller though, and is a uniquely capable tool worth having.

This is my bystanders opinion and not aa trustee dictat:)

Sounds like a great offer. Plus we can always sell a good tool.

Also sounds like we need a noisy workshop steering group, to formalise some of the great thinking that’s happening around tools and workshop layout?

1 Like

The tooling is probably worth over 1k its the bargain of the century if we bought it and gave away the mechean we would still be way ahead

It can live under a bench all we need is weeals on its stand

1 Like

But it would not come with £1000+ worth of tooling

1 Like

So not even that big?

The one Tommel and I saw was massive, but seemed to be the most in demand tool in the workshop.

Sounds like a no brainer…

EDIT: But that was a pro workshop of full-time carpenters. This might be a very restricted use tool? But if it doesn’t take up that much space?

And it has all the cutters for windows and doors.

Worst case scenario it’s too big? We figure out a new home for it.

4 Likes

And keep the tools for a combination mechean.

And we are still ahead.

4 Likes

Could Peter or Joe provide an idea of what has been given? And how do we say thank you?

I would vote to buy these machines, if they are the bargain they’ve been written up as. What are the makes and models, ages and conditions? It is right that they should be paid for by a pledge, as surely the GLA money should go on stuff with a good warranty (eg Record Power do 5 yrs).

One question: if I contribute money to buy two machines, and then the makerspace sells one of them, is it the deal that I just accept this risk to my money, or would my contribution then become like a loan, that would be repaid once the makerspace got the funds fromthe purchaser of the machine?

Having a steering group in the woodworking area, like @Dermot suggested, could prove to be a great model for the wider operation.

Tools of this quality i would expect a indefinite life expectancy in anything but a heavy individual use the morticing mechaan was from a British make i had not heard of (not uncommon for this sort of thing ) and spindle moldeder is schppach

I think we should give him honery membership as he had donated 5to 10years of fees and he also said he would come and teach us how to use the kit

3 Likes

I suspect use would have to be limited to experienced users like the table saw and less eperionced users under supervision. On say Monday night. That way everyone can use it and it should be safe

1 Like

I agree, that would be a very nice gesture.

I’m in on the pledge, another 100

1 Like

@Members This probably needs resolving in the next week if we want to go forward…

EDIT: Pledges moved to first post for convenience - TN

1 Like

Is it possible to get a bit more detail on what we’d be buying? I would like to pledge something but don’t yet feel I know what it would be for.

@joeatkin2 Could you update on the models and maybe photos of this kit? Would be good to get this over the finishing line.

I’m in with 30 for now… Sorry i know is basically nothing but is all I can afford now!

2 Likes

How about we get this from the woodworking budget and then spend £1400 on a table saw?

We could put the machines on pallets (maybe welded up from steel box section for rigidity) so we could shuffle them with a pallet truck to make space.