Offered: Spindle Moulder and Morticing machine

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa49b457800>

It really depends on the size of the machine. If it’s the Molda 2, then it’s a desktop machine that can easily be moved around. If it’s the Molda 3 or above then it’s a floor-stander and I don’t think we want to make a habit of moving tools like that around on pallet trucks.

The morticer I assume is a desktop machine. Floor standers are rare.

If the space allows, then I think it makes sense.

Can’t find a 12" saw for £1400.

Axminster has this

And there’s a Record which has a scoring blade (although you need to remove it to fit a 12" blade) and its a bit pricier

My feeling is having a basic wood workshop is more important than these tools… I don’t think we should be buying this over a drill press, or sander, which Makerspace doesn’t have either of…

I also think the fact that people aren’t putting their money up means that we should read that as a lack of interest, if it were a substantial number I would be up for it, but it’s not, there are three people expressing interest.

Good deal or not, if people aren’t able to even put in £5 to show their interest, then why should we be putting in £400 from the GLA budget when we have tools that are essential to the wood workshop missing.

It’s not either/or. The budget is large and we can get everything we need and want.

My point remains: No one wants this, 3/100+ members have expressed interest, the point of a pledge is not for us to see if anyone wants to pay for it then just buy it anyway.

My view is that if people were interested, we’d have seen people saying, I want it but I am not sure we can afford it, or whatever…

I am also not saying we shouldn’t buy this, but no one is showing interest, these tools aren’t even on the list in the other thread.

Whatever the pros and cons of these particular machines, I feel like if SLMS spends GLA money on substantial bits of machinery, it should go for new products under warranty. Axminster gives a 3 year guarantee and Record Power have 5 years. I think this for two reasons. Firstly, as buyers you can have more confidence in your purchases & if there is a problem in the future, fixing it is likely to be quicker and more straightforward. Secondly, it shows future funders that SLMS knows how to spend public money responsibly.

Tooling is very important and expensive
And we don’t have very much money

Heavy duty and easily repaird is more important in my opinion it took members one day to bugger my cement mixer

These tools are the ‘combi’ bit of the combi machine we proposed getting.

@joeatkin2 - are they floor standing or desktop?

I have changed my mind about a combination being a good idea , induction would be inposibul

Spindle is small and not to big and the morticing is a beast as it will be in constant use its the perfect way round.

It might be a beast but still has a small footprint

I think the reason this pledge isn’t seeing strong support is because some people aren’t aware of what these machines can do.

The morticer in particular does a really useful thing that’s a massive pain to do any other way: It drills square holes

2 Likes

I don’t see what’s wrong at all with buying second hand machinery: especially professional quality equipment. Massive opportunities to save money. Yes 5 and 3 year guarantees give some assurance. But good equipment lasts far far longer. The Bernina sewing machine is a very good example: phenomenally well made 1960’s machine, professionally reconditioned, £227.

The drill press comes to mind here: I’d rather wait for a proper one to turn up second hand than just do a slight upgrade on the hobby one we have now.

2 Likes

There is more support for buying this kit than us written on this thread I think. The block here is we’re not exactly sure what we’d be buying. That needs to be made clear from the bloke. Id be more comfortable with the pledge drive if we knew what machines and what condition…

Edit: we might also be getting a drill press from that other donation. Still hobby grade tho

1 Like

I agree with you. My point was simply that the GLA grant shouldn’t be spent that way.

It already has been (on that sewing machine)

well, I simply throw my views into the ring; you trustees have the relationship with the GLA and will know best how to keep funders happy.

1 Like

Good point a good drill is mandatory

I’m happy to pledge £50. I hadn’t chipped in earlier because I don’t really understand what these things are or whether we have space for them.

1 Like

I have just added my £50, and took the liberty of adding @SarahJ’s £50 to the list as well. I think that takes us to £380 but @joeatkin2 thought today that it would get us to £500… are there pledges that haven’t been noted here?

1 Like