Xmas tree and gifts Sublimation workshop (DATE CHANGED)

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa49b6d5898> #<Tag:0x00007fa49b6d56e0> #<Tag:0x00007fa49b6d55a0>

This is a Christmas gift and tree ornament themed workshop for members interested to learn more about Sublimation and the workflow involved. A contribution of £10 to cover materials will be needed as I have to buy in the ceramics - these make unique personalised gifts that people really do like, especially when you make it for them :slight_smile:

Here is some of what we made during the first workshop: Sublimation Printing Workshop

PREP work: :Laser cut a shape out of cast acrylic and/or bring high resolution photos of kids, pets, loved one or Christmas themed designs EMAILED to yourself: we can also just ask the AI’s to make a design

The workshop will be structured into 2 parts:

1. How to use the Swing 30x30cm heat press safely
  2. Creative sublimation workflow for flat Ceramics and Cast Acrylic

The whole workshop will last 2 hours - Space will remain open for an additional 2 hours for those who want to practice and use a second material, ill help out where needed :smiley:

We will cover:

Discussion on how to incorporate DALL-E/Adobe FireFly and or some art app you are familiar with into the workflow to create a graphic; You will get a chance to have a go at one of those tools if you want to.
Testing the printer before we print
How to use the heat press safely
How to handle hot bendy acrylic and Ceramics as it comes off the heat press
Settings needed for Sublimation using:
3mm Cast Acrylic sheet
Ceramics
Sharing what we made on discourse

You will then each have a chance to print/heat press your own design on ONE material, materials will be provided for you, after the workshop you can do a second material if you want
Technical note: For those wanting to do acrylic, EXTRUDED acrylic does not work - it has a lower melting point to CAST

If you want to have an acrylic shape specifically to your design cut but have not been inducted yet to use the laser cutter let me know and Ill bring it with me for you

Tools needed: if you have an iPad and/or Laptop please bring it. Any questions send me a message!

This is a WIKI document so you can self edit
To take part simply add your name below or confirm you coming by posting a message you would like to attend with your @name there are 7 places available.

@Karin
@Mike.iur
@Helena_Buckley
@Gilbert
@Simcha
@Ewa_Badurek
@Stephen_Midgley

2 Likes

Second sub workshop as promised for those folks who could not attend the first! :smiley:
@TracyD
@Gowtham
@petra
@charlesmein
@textgoeshere
@ninagp
@Geraetefreund
@father
@Karin
@Buryan_Alexiev
@Becky
@Nad
@Cecilia
@Gargi_Sharma1

1 Like

Sorry - I’m away that weekend on a pre-xmas family visit. Hopefully catch the next one.

1 Like

This is a great event! Sorry I won’t be able to make it will try to make it next time

1 Like

I’m making a bunch of small wooden boxes and was thinking that part of the lid could be sublimated using UniSub for a future workshop as I know you want to make a box :slight_smile:

Remixing these 2 designs maybe:

https://myblanks.net/product/photo-cube-unisub-sublimation-blank/
https://www.speedytrophies.com/products/stun5690

1 Like

Hey Dorine I would love to come! If we do want to do a second material/design, should we bring something along? (I’m imagining making Christmas decorations for two friends with pets!).

1 Like

There will be left over stuff from the workshop we can use. It’s just some people can only stay 2 hours so as to make sure everyone gets a go, it’s 1 material. I’ll be there to help those who want to do more with the mats I know and we can do some testing if it’s mats Ive not tested before :slight_smile:

1 Like

Did you want to join? The list is at 4 now :slight_smile:

Yes please!

1 Like

@Dorine This sounds so much fun! I’d love to join the workshop on 17th Dec if there’s space. I’m not a member yet, would you allow non-members to come? Thanks, Becky

1 Like

I had to remove my name from the list. thank you for organising, I hope I can join next time.

1 Like

@petra

Apologies all, Xmas party at the Makerspace on the 17th now so will have to move the workshop from the Sunday 17th to Monday 18th Dec same time just the next day.

@Karin
@Gargi_Sharma1
@Mike.iur
@Helena_Buckley
@Becky
@Gilbert

Could you let me know if you can still make it please, sorry for the last minute.

Hi @Dorine! That’s a shame, unfortunately I can’t make the afternoon on Monday 18th as I have to work :frowning: no annual leave left for me sadly!

1 Like

Not an issue, thanks for letting me know, I’ll do another one in January :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey, was the workshop supposed to be in textile room? Because that can still go on!

Nope I had booked the clean room table in the open space as I need the projector :slight_smile: booking I made as a host but not an issue. Party is way more important to celebrate our end of year as team!

Oh-oh!

@Dorine

I would be keen to join if there is a space available now?

1 Like

I won’t be able to make it on Monday as I have to work. Hope to come to the next one!

1 Like

I also would be very happy to join if there are available places.

1 Like